2 questions

CarlRay
on 2/4/17 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

Hey folks.  I've got my RNY booked for the end of February.  Two questions come to mind.  

1) The surgeon gave me 1 week of the Optifast.  He's the expert and I'll do whatever he says, but I find this unusual based on the posts from nearly everyone else being 3 weeks or more.  Not that I'm complaining at $100 a week, I just find that a short time frame.  

2) the family is going to a resor****er park in mid-march for a little family getaway.   It's been booked for months.  I'll be 2.5 weeks post-op by then.  OBVIOUSLY I won't be doing any activities.  I don't mind chilling out and watching them have fun, seeing them smiling and cutting loose with friends is joy enough for me.  

I suppose my main concern would be travelling.  Dietary needs I can look after easily.  Thoughts and tips for a few hour car ride? 

White Dove
on 2/4/17 4:41 pm, edited 2/4/17 8:41 am - Warren, OH

The Optifast seems to depend on how overweight you are.  Sort of like one week if you have 100 to lose, two weeks for 200 and three weeks for 300 overweight.

I am not saying that is their formula but it is something similar.

You should be fine walking around the waterpark and watching.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CarlRay
on 2/4/17 4:51 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks.  That kinda makes sense.  I've gone from 391 to 328 myself, and I'm expected to land somewhere around 225 unless I am extra stupid about things.   Which I won't be.  

The water park trip had me a little nervous at first, moreso because it's stateside in case something happened internally, but if I'm chilling on a deck chair and walking around I should be ok.  

kyena
on 2/4/17 6:52 pm
RNY on 02/16/17

My ideal BMI weight is 125 away but I was still prescribed 3 weeks of Opti.

I think it has more to do with the ultrasound and condition of your liver.

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

MC_Akeson
on 2/4/17 7:27 pm - Ontario, Canada

I didn't get an ultrasound to get my liver checked but I know the Ottawa weight clinic had everyone do 3 weeks of Opti. 

I'm assuming that the pain and soreness would be gone by the time it is your trip so the ride should be fine but bring Tylenol. 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

LauraLeafFan
on 2/4/17 7:39 pm

Hello,

As for opti it depends sometimes on your liver or other times on the surgeon too.  My hubby was in the 300 range and got 3 weeks ...I am in 200 range and got 2 weeks.  We were told generally for every 100lbs you weigh you get a week of opti.  

As for your vacay...we went away when my hubby was on the puree stage....I brought my bullet to puree things but never used it.  He ate Wendy's chili....just chewed it well...or we also found an Italian place and ordered a side of meatballs for him which he ate slow and chewed well...you can get a side of mashed potates to from somwhere.  His breakfast was mainly protein shakes...but if you are in the USA they have great yogurt that is low in sugar but high in protein.  Or if you can boil water you can still have your oatmeal or cream of wheat.

We were told hubby could go swimming while we were away as long as the incisions were closed and they were.  Now he wasn't doing laps but more walking through the water. 

Good luck!!

Referral MARCH 2016, Orientation JUNE 2016, Surgery FEBRUARY 14TH 2017

HW 272lbs 10 months Post-Op CW 175.7lbs

Meggles07
on 2/5/17 5:58 am - Canada

Two things popped to mind with your questions. First, I only did one week of opti and my surgeon said my liver was good. I had also lost some weight beforehand.

Second, if you are leaving the province/country so soon after surgery you should contact your travel insurance provider to make sure you will be covered. Some won't insure that soon after surgery or medication changes, depending on the condition.

Meg

Mahalo F.
on 2/5/17 6:15 am

Good morning!

I did Opti Fast 3 weeks. Yes it is what the management Clinic here in Ottawa does routinely.  I was never a believer about shrinking the liver.

It does however give you an opportunity to lose some weight and perhaps makes the surgery a bit easier.  Prepare your body post RNY.

Everyone is different post op.  I was a "Rock Star" post RNY.  I had surgery on a Wednesday & remember going to  Home Sense & Costco on Sunday.  You must remember no lifting what so ever.

I just got the green light to start Auqua Fit @ 4 weeks.  They wanted to make sure everything was healed and closed. 2.5 weeks post op would be too early to slip into water that may not be clean enough.  Incisions are still tender & fresh.  Risk of infection would be high.

Walking around the park & just chilling will be awesome.

Tips on stuff to bring with you?

Vitamins, case of water, Costco Premiere Protein shakes, sugar free jello, yogurts, whipped cream cheese, Heinz or Gerber Oatmeal with a tiny bowl (you can get ho****er at on routes). Apple juice diluted half & half...    What ever else your diet allows.

I hope this helps!

Good luck with the upcoming surgery

Take care

Sandra.  

Mahalo.             

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Kathy1212
on 2/5/17 6:59 am

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.

I'm not sure about the optifast. My starting weight was 304 and I had to do 3 weeks of opti.  I lost 23 Ibs and 4.5 inches in those 3 weeks and was happy about that.  My surgery was 5 days ago and it went well, but I am still in a lot of pain when I walk, or go from sitting to standing and vice versa. Like crazy pain.

The problem might be that I can only take half dosage of my pain killers.  I'm prescribed 2 mg of Hydropmorphone every 4 hours and I can only take 1 mg or else I get lightheaded and dizzy.  The nurse told me it was the drug and to take half so that's what I've been doing.  So my pain isn't optimally managed.

The surgeon said that the incision that is bothering me is where he did the most work, and he had to do a double row of extra tight stitches and that everyone who has that complains of pain until the stitches dissolve.  I can't remember how long he said it would take for them to dissolve.

I am OK in a car but walking more than 4 rooms length is agony for me. So is reaching with my arms for anything that is even slightly beyond my grasp, or twisting the wrong way.  So I personally wouldn't think of going on a vacation at 2.5 weeks post op, unless the vacation meant I could sit by a pool all day; something very low key and relaxed.

Everyone is different though and every surgeon is different too, and some people are just fine after and able to walk in the mall just days after having surgery. I wish I could say that was true for me.

Good luck!

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

IamBettyCooper
on 2/7/17 7:58 pm, edited 2/7/17 12:00 pm

I think White Dove is correct re the formula for how long you are on OptiFast.

I would have found a 2-3 hour ride pretty tough a couple of weeks out ... you really feel every bump in the road.

I would also like to caution you about going to the US so soon after surgery.  You will not be able to get travel insurance because you will not have been stable for 3 months out and if anything happens, it is very expensive to seek treatment there.  I had a vacation booked 5 weeks after my surgery and even though I got a letter from the doctor and had no complications, I could not get insurance coverage. I cancelled my trip just in case.  Just something to consider.

Is there any way you can change your destination?  Maybe Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, Ontario instead?   

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics