Second guessing/VSG

fromfattohealthy
on 1/30/17 11:57 am - Canada

Hi Everyone,

I do not intend to start a debate, however after attending a few appointments and given my medical history, VSG is something that has been suggested for me. Initially, this is what I wanted. I know that my quality of life with VSG will be different (and to be honest probably better) than with RNY. I have been researching like CRAZY and now I just feel torn. I think it comes down to being afraid to fail. I have made changes (a lot of them, and its going on week 3 which for me is great) but I am worried that I will make the wrong choice and fail. I have even ventured over to the board where people discuss that WLS failed them - now I am not ignorant and realize this is a tool - like a hammer, if you use the wrong end of it, it won't work - but I just CAN'T fail.... I KNOW it is the surgeons choice, but given my history I have a feeling that VSG is for me. 

ANYONE with VSG....please share your experiences.

Thank you

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Leslie W.
on 1/30/17 2:03 pm - Cobourg, Canada

If a VSG has been medically recommended then that is what the surgeon will do.  There is always a possibility of revising a VSG to RNY. You cannot do the reverse. Speak to your surgeon about your fears. Best of luck with whichever you have.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
crqvingchange
on 1/30/17 4:18 pm

Follow your surgeon's recommendations.  Whatever type of surgery you have you will work it, I'm sure.  Success will ultimately depend on you.  Lots of VSGer's reach goal as do RNYer's.  VSG's usually lose slower (that's my understanding).  We are here to support you, no matter which surgery you end of having.  Continue to log your food, move when you can, and access as many cognitive behaviour change programs that you can.  Hugs. 

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

roxytrim
on 1/31/17 4:25 am, edited 1/30/17 8:29 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Hey fromfattohealthy...VSG'er here.  In my experience, there is no difference between the rate of loss for VSG vs RnY.  Do an internet search on VSG, you will see that now there is more research studies on VSG, there are more similarities with results to the RnY. VSG doesn't have the malabsorbtion, but the restriction with the intact paloric valve  gives a tool that works just as well for the first two years.  Plus, because the 85% of the stomach that is removed contains most of the ghrenlin hormone producing cells, it takes a few years until body hunger is felt, if at all really.  When I am busy, I still don't register hunger. Head hunger is a whole other animal & is all up to you & will occur even if you have your whole stomach removed.

After around 2 years, the dumping & malabsorption with the RnY typically adjusts.  With any WLS, even the granddaddy DS as you roll into your 3rd year, it becomes mostly keeping yourself in check & any of us can & will experience ups & downs and constant battles with our old demons pre WLS.

You may be really feeling hesitation and nervousness about WLS in general - which we all experienced at least one point along this journey. You really just need to be honest with yourself and ask - do you need any tool to give you the means to find your way from fattohealthy .

If this journey is right for you, trust your bariatric team and their vast experience.  The journey is long and really, think 10+ years out.  

fromfattohealthy
on 1/31/17 6:43 am - Canada

Thank you - I have done so much research and in that I did notice there is still potential for success (just as much) with VSG. 

I rely on medications, have had previous surgeries, and have an issue with my bodys ferratin level which was a huge concern to the bariatric doctor and she also said that she is noting VSG - but mentioned ultimately it is the surgeons decision.

Thanks again for reply!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/17 6:56 pm

I will be getting the VSG ... so reading your thoughts were great.... where did you get it done.. congrats on your weightloss btw.

I have so many questions... like someday can I eat rice or corn ? Im scared the kernals would get stuck.. don't laugh..

Jo

roxytrim
on 6/16/17 3:14 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I won't laugh Jo, the corn might come out my nose (hehe)... My experience living with the VSG now for 41/2 years is there is nothing I can't eat. The biggest difference is something like pasta. Back in the day, I could wolf down a nice steamy bowl, now can only eat about 1/2c, which by the way is normal portion size, so all good.

Go on to the VSG surgery site, if you haven't do so already, they are pretty active and you will learn alot.

I had my surgery at Humber, with Dr. Sohi. No complications or issues...easy peasy for me, mind you, I do take a daily PPI, but no biggie and keeps any GERD under control. My sister had it done in Guelph, same thing, so issues and she doesn't need to take a PPI, so go figure.

Manda32
on 1/31/17 1:53 pm

I have not yet had surgery, but I am also being recommended for the VSG. Which, like you is what I wanted orginally. Although, I was told that the surgeon's generally go with the Bariactric Doctor's recommendation, I'm still prepared to fight for it over the RNY. However not to say I haven't bounced back in forth for time to time, but for medical reasons like you I'm guessing, VSG best choice for myself.

I suspect you are just having as people have suggestion some nervousness, anxiety perhaps about the surgery, which is perfectly normal. From what I have been told and researched, I have found that weight loss between the RNY and VSG are very similar. I was told by my social worker, that more research is showing this exact fact. Either is a tool, and if you use it right, you will be successful. I think we all worry about failing from time to time.

Either surgery will help you lose the weight, as long as you use your tool propertly. I would go by the recommendations of the surgeon, they know best!

Good luck to you!

Nura777
on 2/1/17 1:07 pm

Whose your bariatric doctor?

Manda32
on 2/2/17 12:43 pm

Dr. Shaban is my bariactric doctor. I'm going through Windsor. I see Dr. Reed in Guelph on Tuesday, I hope he agrees with Dr. Shaban.

Most Active
Recent Topics