What I have learned on 3 days of Opti...

kyena
on 1/30/17 6:51 am
RNY on 02/16/17

-Opti is NOT that bad, way better than some other pre-mixed meal replacements or protein shakes. I was worried about the gross metallic taste and Opti does not have that!!

-That said... Opti Vanilla is so gross to me. Opti chocolate is pretty good. The vanilla one is okay with cooled down decaf coffee.

-Sugar free flavors/extracts are already so helpful! I picked up some small bottles of concentrated extracts (Lorann oils, bought at Bulkbarn for about $2.50/bottle) in orange, banana cream, strawberry, cherry, and amaretto (almond). They make such a difference! I like being able to mix up the flavours... (choc/orange, choc/cherry, choc/banana, choc/amaretto, choc/strawberry, vanilla/orange/amaretto, vanilla/banana/strawberry). Pro tip: I already had some pipettes from another project, and they are very helpful with the oils. A little oil goes a long way so if you do get them, make sure you get some kind of dropper. 

-I bought a blender that has multiple cups (like a Magic Bullet) and it is very helpful. Mine was Cuisinart and it comes with 4 cups that have Starbucks-style plastic lids.

-Opti is NOT kind to your gut. Metamucil is a MUST. 

3 days down, 16 to go! 

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

Kathy1212
on 1/30/17 8:50 am

Hey, you're doing great on Opti!

It's funny how we all like different things; I love the Vanilla better than the chocolate, and don't like anything at all in my shakes; I like them plain best.  I'm glad you were able to find a way to make the Vanilla taste better to you. 

The days will go by so quickly. I'm on Day 20 already, and tomorrow is my last day!  I can hardly believe it.  I'm flying off to Toronto tomorrow, and my surgery is the day after tomorrow.  It seems like a dream.  I've had a cough and was told they don't cancel surgeries unless there is a fever or respiratory infection, which I haven't had, so i"m hoping I'll still get my surgery. It won't seem real to me until it happens, lol.

Good luck with the rest of your time on Opti; trust me, it will fly by.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

honestlymoniqui_rny
on 1/30/17 1:08 pm
RNY on 02/07/17

I also prefer the Vanilla, it lets me do more with it. I mix in some cooled decaf coffee, caramel and vanilla extract. It tastes like a Starbucks drink. I am currently on day 7 of 14 (woohoo half way there) with surgery scheduled on February 7 

Manda32
on 1/31/17 1:59 pm

I've gotten a lot of insight from opti from my sister, doing the medical program. She hated the vanilla, but loves the chocolate. Made me a little less nervous about the whole process, and said after a couple days, they really do make you feel full.

She's just stuck with the chocolate and added no flavouring, but your tips for flavouring I appreciate.

My sister used benefiber every day, your right not kind to your gut lol

Good luck with your opti and surgery!

Tracks
on 1/31/17 2:58 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

How has the medical program worked for your sister?  I know someone else that's considering it.  Not quite ready to persue surgery.  

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Manda32
on 1/31/17 10:47 pm

My sister has done really well so far on the program. Its 24 weeks long. You have to go once a week to get weighed, and have a group meeting every week. They do 12 weeks of straight opti, then introduce one meal, and 3 shakes, and gradually come off the shakes. I can't remember what weeks this is for her, but they are finally off shakes completely. She'll be done in early march. She's lost just over 50lbs so far. She was so happy a couple weeks to buy jeans in a size 14, and getting very close to being under 200lbs. She seems to be in the average weight loss in her group, one girl has lost close to 100 lbs. Its going to vary a bit due to many factors including your weight to begin with.

I've gone with her many times and she goes to Windsor where I'm going through (well done, got my surgeon appointment in Guelph next week) the surgery process, and have seen the group of people in her class. Some are smaller and bigger than my sister, so probably the bigger you are the likelyhood of you losing more.

She was orginally referred with the idea of surgery, even though her BMI did qualify her for surgery (she was told this by the doctor there at follow up visits they have with him), but for some reason she was put in the medical program.

However she's really happy she was put in this program. She doesn't have a particular goal weight, but I think for someone whose scared or absolutely against surgery, this is the next best thing, or if you have less than 100lbs to lose I think a very good choice. However, its a huge committment, going every week, and you can't miss more than 2 meetings (unless you have a very good reason) or you can be kicked out of the program.

I think, anyone whose not ready for surgery and committed, this is an excellent choice. They also follow up with you for 2 years with this program.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Tracks
on 2/1/17 6:36 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

Thanks so much for this.  I will pass the information along.  Very helpful.

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Manda32
on 2/2/17 12:19 pm

No problem!

Karma_888
on 2/2/17 5:47 pm

I also did the CORE/Medical program (which was excellent) and yes it does work, but it hard to maintain the loss as you cant continue for more than 12 weeks at 900 calories on the optifast shakes.

I regained the 70 lbs I lost in about an 1.5 years, and wished I would have followed thru with the surgery then. But because you have weekly classes on nutrition and behaviour, I have more knowledge going in to the surgical program.

Core 2013, Dec 2015 Met with LEAF WMC, Apr2016-re-referred to TOH-WMC , July 7 info session, Nov 28 NP , Dec 5 Pre-surg 1, Jan 14/17 - NP and Dietician, Feb 7-Pre surg 2 & met Dr, OPTIFAST MAR 7, Rny Mar 28

Manda32
on 2/3/17 9:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you regained the weight back! That program from my perspective is not an easy thing to do. It's tough as well. They can't keep you on those shakes also due to putting your body into ketosis, and your body can't be in that state for long times. I know it seemed like everyone in her group were afraid to go back to solid foods, wanted to stay on the shakes, but alas you can't.

I've lost weight and regained it too, the vicious cycle. I'm very happy I'm going through for surgery, and my sister is glad she has gone this route. If she regains all the weight back, not sure if she'd consider surery, but its an option. I hope she can keep it off of course, but you never know.

Where are you in the process? What hospital are you going through?

Good luck in your journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics