Eeeep! Social worker appointment this Thursday!

kayohtee
on 1/29/17 4:46 pm

Hi everyone!

*I just want to start this with a vent/rant. Never let people, especially those who "love" you, tell you that they will not support you if you get bariatric surgery. I did and I almost cancelled ALL of my appointments at TWH just because my best friend said she couldn't support me in this. Needless to say while I still love her, I will not be including her in this nor the other person who warned me that it's a mistake and life is misery after yada yada. Rant over*

So with that being said I'm super excited about seeing the social worker on Thursday. I'm not sure what to expect in terms of questions...does the social worker weigh you? I have my next appointment on Feb 21 (which reminds me that I need to update my signature with my appointments!) and I wish I could do both appointments on Thursday since I'm off work for the next two weeks...but that is a longshot and patience is important

I just want to say that even though I have been non existent on this forum, I have been reading the posts and appreciate everyone who shares their experiences! 

TWH- Referral: June 20 2016.

Orientation: Nov 02 2016 Social Work: Feb 02 2017 Nutrition Class: Feb 14 2017 Nurse Practitioner: Feb 17 2017 Nutritionist: March 7 2017 Psychologist: March 8 2017 Meet the Surgeon: April 7 2017 Surgery: June 5 2017

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/17 5:09 am - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

The social worker I saw didn't weigh me, but asked my weight.

a lot of the questions I was asked surrounded my support system.

The SW also went through my paperwork and started entering some of it into the computer, asking questions as she went.

i can't remember what else she asked, but hopefully someone else here remembers more :)

kayohtee
on 1/30/17 8:16 am

Thank you! This helps :)

Orientation: Nov 02 2016 Social Work: Feb 02 2017 Nutrition Class: Feb 14 2017 Nurse Practitioner: Feb 17 2017 Nutritionist: March 7 2017 Psychologist: March 8 2017 Meet the Surgeon: April 7 2017 Surgery: June 5 2017

fromfattohealthy
on 1/30/17 6:10 am - Canada

Moving forward is a great feeling!

First of all, I will admit that my surgery is not something I am sharing with everyone, my parents are aware and my partner is aware, and that is it. As I have gone through a lot the past couple years, and now doing much better, I noticed that some people who I thought were my friends, actually are more comfortable seeing me in a position where I "need" them. It is a sad truth about some friendships, and as much I valued those relationships at that time I have noticed that the person I am becoming makes those people uncomfortable which is why I have chosen to avoid their negativity all together. This surgery was a difficult decision for me to make. It took a lot of soul searching and growth to realize that I need this and that I need to make these changes. I do not require the approval of anyone. I have a young daughter (2 years old) who needs a healthy mom, and a partner who deserves a healthy, lifelong partner. I come here for support, I journal, I read, and I practice a lot of self care - which is something I was not doing a lot of before this process. Before this process I was investing a lot of my energy with the "negative nancies" and I was EATING (with them, of course, and I noticed they would attempt to sabotage my efforts at losing weight OR they would bring up my weight as a "joke") In the last couple months I have made some major changes in my life and I don't regret a single one :)

Lucky for you :) - I saw the Social Worker last week. She did weigh me.

She then went over my questionnaire, and also the homework I completed from the orientation. She asked me a couple questions about my reason for the surgery and more specifically about whether or not this was for self-esteem and confidence, I was very honest and explained to her that if she had asked my 20-something-year-old self this, I would have said absolutely. But now I know better. This is about being healthy, this is about a commitment to myself and I am doing a horrible injustice to myself but staying overweight and unhealthy.

She asked about my support network and who was positive in my life. She asked me about some items in my past (abusive relationships, my daughter, family court, anxiety and depression). She asked me how I cope with every day stress. I felt like my appointment went well. I feel like I am in a really good place in life. 

I was an open-book, I knew that through this process I need to be honest with everyone. I think that will really help you moving forward :)

Good luck!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

kayohtee
on 1/30/17 8:33 am

I love it! You are so right about not sharing with everyone...I think there are people who are "safe" and there are people who don't need to be in your business! I've realized that now. But I think it's ridiculous for someone to be offended because a person has decided to get their life together you know? Thank you for the information as well!!

fromfattohealthy
on 1/30/17 8:36 am - Canada

I agree, those people are afraid of change. Some people (insecure people, unhealthy people) like to keep you in a box and when you try to deviate from that it scares them. Don't worry about them at all, just do what you have to do and don't care if they like it :) you aren't doing anything wrong by doing what is best for you. 

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Linda M.
on 1/30/17 6:11 am - Orillia, Canada

My meeting with the social worker was my first one.  Since I had all of my appointments through the Ontario Telehealth Network, I drove to Midland and the nurse practioner weighed me and took my blood pressure relaying the information prior to speaking with me.  Each appointment is a learning experience and they want you to be truthful.  The social worker wants to know that you have a support system in place, that you can take the required 4 weeks off after the surgery, that you can afford to pay for the Optifast before surgery and the vitamins and supplements for the rest of your life.  There's nothing to study for and a lot of the information that has been provided in your orientation is what the various healthcare professionals will discuss during each of your appointments.

I have found it to be education, enlightening and not at all scary.  It has confirmed to me that I am on the right path and this "tool" will help me to get and stay healthy.

Good luck,

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

kayohtee
on 1/30/17 8:39 am

Thank you for replying! Did you have to bring your bloodwork to the Social work appointment? In my orientation manual it says to do the blood 3 weeks before the nursing appointment and to bring the results to the nursing appointment and they said this at orientation. But then the orange paper says bring it to your first appointment, which for me would be the Social work appointment. I'm really confused! Actually I think I might cross post this to the forum and see what others say.

Linda M.
on 1/30/17 9:22 am - Orillia, Canada

The social worker does not go over your blood work; the nurse practitioner does.  I sent all of my results it through Purolator so that my file was complete in advance.  If you have any questions regarding an issue such as this, it's best to call the bariatric clinic and speak to one of the clerical staff directly.  Everything is quite straight forward, but when in doubt, call and ask.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Most Active
Recent Topics