Reality Check for this newbie

So_It_Begins
on 1/28/17 3:36 am

I just signed up for this group and I'm hoping to learn some great information, gain insight, and receive support. 

My referral from my doctor was sent in to the OBN the other day. I had so many questions I should have asked and didn't. I called my doctor today and some they weren't sure on. I was referred to Toronto western, but I think Humber River is closer - do I get to chose where I go? Is there a difference? 

My main question though is, in all reality, what is the wait time before they contact me and I begin the process? I just want to be realistic that it doesn't happen quick and I need to be patient. 

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can calm my nerves! LoL

IamBettyCooper
on 1/28/17 6:19 am

From referral to surgery was a year and 3 months.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

So_It_Begins
on 1/28/17 11:07 am

Great.. thank you 

leeann73
on 1/28/17 7:39 am

I totally understand how you feel, and the feeling is there much of the time for me.  I was referred in June, and in July I got a notice for an orientation in August I believe.  I am seeing the surgeon on Monday.  I have had 11 appointments since my orientation ... everyone is different ... I would say a 2 month wait for the orientation is conservative.  Good luck.  It is a great program but I still have the nerves going up and down - a huge rollercoaster for sure!

So_It_Begins
on 1/28/17 11:11 am

Surgeon on Monday, thats awesome!!! Wow, 11 appointments, is this the average amount? It was a big descion to finally go in and request the referral, I guess I'm just scared I'll lose my nerve. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. 

SkottiRNY
on 1/28/17 8:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey So_It_Begins!

Welcome aboard!

As the others have mentioned, everyone and every clinic is different. Back in 2014, my referral went in in August...Orientation in October... a few(like 4?) appointments after that and surgery July 7, 2015. So just under a year for me.

Your time will come before you know it. Now is a good time to read and educate yourself with what the future holds. It can be amazing! 

Good luck!

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

So_It_Begins
on 1/28/17 11:14 am

Absolutely, I'm starting to do more and more research, which is how I came across this site. I'm finding it  helpful to read others experiences (I just need to get the lingo down! Lol...), any suggestions on other sites to check? I appreciate your response, thank you. 

SkottiRNY
on 1/28/17 6:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

You will see a whole bunch of people on YouTube if you haven't looked ye****ch the people that leave comments on my videos, a lot of them have more experience than I do. Also, just search Facebook for WLS stuff. You will find groups/people there.

Cheers,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

crqvingchange
on 1/28/17 8:15 am

Welcome.  Feel free to post and ask questions anytime, we are here to answer if we can and offer support.

For me the timeline was 18 months from referral to surgery.  I was thankful for that time because it gave me a chance to read a lot here and ask questions.  That way I didn't get any surprises and was able to prepare.  The vets on this site are so helpful and generous with their time.  If it wasn't for them I probably would have been freaked out all of the time.  They would tell me this is normal, we have all been through it, and that really eased so many of my concerns (both preop and postop)

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kap74
on 1/28/17 9:23 am

Hiya! Good for you, you made the first jump into the process with the referral. From when they made my referral (August 2015) to getting my letter (September 2015) for TWH, it was only a month, then the orientation class at TWH was about 3 months (earl December 2015). Then a year of appointments at TWH, and finally surgery in January 2017, so about 17 months in total. I have to admit, shamefully, the long wait gave me some kind of 'permission' to say (too often) I better eat this now, because I won't be able to soon! I put on an additional 15lbs in those 17 months. Careful not to do that. Keep vigilant! Is Humber River hospital still open? I thought it was closed? the one on finch near the 400?

Good luck to you, your life will shine brighter from here on in!

Referral: August 2015; TWH Orientation: December 14, 2015; Social Worker: Jan 27 2016; Nurse Practitioner: March 14; Nutrition Class: April 26; Psych Evaluation: June 7; Nutritionist: July 21; Meet the Surgeon: Oct.21 2016; Pre-Op: December 16, 2016; Scheduled Surgery: January 5 2017! HW 248; SW 237 ... GW 138.  Feeling grateful and fortunate to have this opportunity.

Most Active
Recent Topics