Will they revise my VBG to an RNY?

rubyblue
on 1/27/17 11:40 am

Hi there,

I'm a newbie and I tried posting this on the Revision forum but nobody replied....someone told me this was the best Canadian forum to post on, hopefully someone can relate and or help with my questions :)

I have read a couple of stories similar to mine, but it seems they were logged quite a few years ago.

I had the horrible Vertical Banded Gastroplasty 21 years ago, that apparently is no longer being done.  The doctor that did the surgery has since retired and I have an appointment with a general surgeon in Calgary. 

I have struggled for the last 21 years with issues, after my first year, I had to get the band revised, which at that time meant an open surgery again.  The issues still never went away, I threw up most of the food that I ate, especially veggies, whole grains and even fruits :(  In order to lose the weight that I gained I would do crazy low calorie diets 500 cals to be exact, I'd lose the weight and feel good again, but as soon as I started eating regular foods again, on would come the weight.

Over this last year, I have been diagnosed with BED and depression, both of my parents have been on and off of their death beds, I had a horrible breakup and all of my kids have left the nest and my best friend died of a brain aneurysm at the age of 43.  Hence the depression and the eating, as I eat my feelings.  I am sure someone can relate to that? 

Anyway, I since have also been diagnosed with LPR (silent GERD), my voice has become raspy (and not the sexy kind lol), its hard to swallow and i am up most of the night coughing.  I still throw up all the good stuff and can certainly eat a lot of the bad easy to go down stuff, I have diverticulosis and about 4 years ago had a colon resection due to diverticulitis and I was only in my mid 40"s, I have pain in both of my hips and my lower back due to degenerative disc disease.  I am a complete mess and I am not even 50 yet...oh yeah and the "change" has also started.

So back to my point here, I am seeing Dr. Debru in Calgary on Feb 8 and I am hoping that he will consider me a candidate for revision to an RNY as I think the VSG might not work especially since i have the GERD issue.

Anyone with anything similar? Was there a problem getting the revision? I am sure it will probably have to be an open surgery (which sucks cause after I lost all my weight I got a tummy tuck and now its not so tucked anymore)

Thoughts?

Rubyblue

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 3:43 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

There have been a few members here that had the VBG and they were revised, some to RNY, others VSG and some DS, but that was years ago.  In recent years, Ontario has been mostly doing RNY and only VSG when RNY is not possible.  Not sure if they are the same in Alberta but it is possible to do it as many in Ontario have had it done.

rubyblue
on 1/27/17 4:15 pm

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. ?

fromfattohealthy
on 1/27/17 6:59 pm - Canada

Hi and Welcome :) 

I have a lap band. I am not sure if they will revise you immediately, however I am currently going through the process and have to attend all the mandatory appointments. 

I hope you get answers as soon as possible! 

Most Active
Recent Topics