1st Time Posting

Suebe1
on 1/26/17 2:17 pm

Hi All

This is all new to me, my family doctor referred me for WLS in November.  So very excited and anxious at the same time.  I have been doing a lot of reading on the forum as well as researching on the internet.  My mother had WLS approximately 30 years ago, but it was not as perfected as it is today. 

I understand about the need for Vitamins after surgery, but just the other day it I thought about other medication I am on and if it will also be affected.  I have been on an antidepressant, Effexor, for many years now and doing fine, however, I am now concerned if having weight loss surgery could affect the absorption of the antidepressant and perhaps cause problems for me.   Not sure as yet which surgery I will be having but wondering if there would be less to be a problem with VSG?   Can anyone give me their thoughts or personal experience with this.  I am prepared for the lows that can come along during this process but would like to get an idea what I might not necessarily will be in for.

Referred to Windsor Nov./16, Orientation Jan. 16/17, NP Mar. 6, NUT Mar.21, DR/SW Apr. 19, Approved by Dr., Dietician/SW Jun. 5 Approved, Surgical Class July 24, met the surgeon Dr. Boujani August 3/17, Pre Op Aug. 22, Opti Aug. 29, Surgery Sept. 12/17.

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/26/17 5:45 pm - Canada

Hello and WELCOME

You are doing great by researching.   There is so much info out there.  You can always learn something new everyday.

As for antidepressant absorption...great question....your clinic will of course help you out with that one.  I had major depression diagnosis yrs ago and suffered depression for most of my life  but I'm not taking any meds other than the vitamins etc that we are required to.  I know many people on this forum use AD meds, so I'm assuming that they have ways to manage that issue for you.   Sorry can't help you much there...but I'm sure someone will respond !!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Suebe1
on 1/26/17 8:57 pm

Thanks for response.  It's great to hear you are not on AD meds now, I would really like to try weaning off them but a little nervous about doing so. I'm sure the doctor will answer my concerns but great to hear from others.

Referred to Windsor Nov./16, Orientation Jan. 16/17, NP Mar. 6, NUT Mar.21, DR/SW Apr. 19, Approved by Dr., Dietician/SW Jun. 5 Approved, Surgical Class July 24, met the surgeon Dr. Boujani August 3/17, Pre Op Aug. 22, Opti Aug. 29, Surgery Sept. 12/17.

crqvingchange
on 1/27/17 11:05 am

First I want to say welcome.  Discuss your concerns with the surgeon, and ultimately he decides which type of surgery you will have.  Unless you are self pay, this is how it works for most of us in Ontario.  The pharmacist at Guelph hospital discussed my medications with me, and made recommendations to my family doctor for meds that he thought would be better absorbed post WLS.  Anything with a delayed time release usually doesn't do well with our new anatomy I was told.  All of the Centres take your current meds into consideration.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics