Guelph Surgeon Appointments

Manda32
on 1/24/17 7:44 pm

I had my surgical class in Windsor on Monday and have chosen Guelph as my surgical site.

I was told that your first consult with the Surgeon its more of an interview, and you need to know your stuff. They even said they've had people be sent back to them (in Windsor) to work on things  because they didn't feel they were prepared enough.

For anyone whose gone through Guelph did you find this your experience at your first Surgeon's appointment?

Any insight would be great.

Thank you.

crqvingchange
on 1/25/17 3:21 am

Guelph seems to be different from other Centres.  My advice would be to read your handouts before, don't take a coffee into the interview.  I read here that Dr. Reed frowns on that.  They are very much about the surgery being a tool only and you have to do the work to get the weight off.  They want to make sure you have a support system (family and friends. I brought my husband to the interview).  They are looking to see that you have lost some weight after your nutritional appointments.  That was my experience, but others may have different experiences.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Solstice
on 1/25/17 8:24 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Hi,

Congratulations on getting to this point!

I had Dr Reed at Guelph, went through Guelph from start to finish. By the time you get to this appointment, you have already been passed by the social worker, nutritionist and nurse, so this means that you are meeting the person who will actually be doing the deed.

He simply explained the surgery, explained how if you exercise you will lose faster, and you get to hop up on a table so he can measure your belly, from back to front.

Not an interview, just a meet and greet! When it was done, he told me to go out and get a date for surgery! Yeah!

Everyone is different, with different issues, but that was my experience.

All the best to you!

Solstice

theprodg
on 1/25/17 9:39 am

I also met with Dr. Reed. He was extremely friendly and helpful. Answered all my questions, asked some questions about medical history etc., explained the surgery and some post-op stuff. Not an interview at all. He also measured my stomach, told me why I should get the surgery and that being overweight was my body's reaction to plentiful food. LOL

Dilli
on 1/25/17 4:08 pm
RNY on 05/04/17

Maybe the structure of the appointment is different if you are coming from another centre vs.  going thru Guelph for all of your evaluations?

Most Active
Recent Topics