Sick but OK for surgery

Kathy1212
on 1/24/17 6:56 am

Thank you!  What boggled my mind about her is she knew the other nurse's husband had had the surgery and done extremely well and it seemed like some of her comments were directed toward her as well as me.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/17 7:37 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Hopefully it stays out of your lungs as I had surgery cancelled on me after being all hooked up to IV and ready to go in and anesthesist heard me cough and said send her home, I won't allow her to go under with a cough like that.  Head colds they will go ahead but once it moves in the lungs it is up to the anesthesist if he/she will allow or not.  Keep sipping your hot liquids and maybe grab a mask at the hospital if yours have them so you don't breathe in what your dad has to stay as healthy as possible.

Kathy1212
on 1/24/17 8:07 am

How awful for you, Tracey.  Were you able to get the surgery later?

I'm praying it won't go into my lungs, and i did snag 2 extra masks from the hospital.  My Dad likes to stay in the recroom with his giant TV so I've been able to avoid him for the most part, as horrible as that sounds.  We chat back and forth from different rooms.

I've been washing my hands like crazy and bought some antibacterial soap.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/17 8:13 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Yeah they booked me in 2 weeks later.  It wasn't for my WLS and was in my hometown so not a complete inconvenience like it would have been if it would have been one of my surgeries in Toronto.  I had even called the day before to tell them that my chest was heavy and I was coughing up phlegm like crazy and the nurse told me I still had to show up and let the anesthesist decide.  When I arrived I asked them if I could see him before they put the IV in as what was the point if he was just going to cancel but of course they said oh no we get you all ready and then he will see you.  Keep up with the hand washing and wear the mask and stay away.  Many people seem to get a cold on Optifast but it never seems to move into the lungs.  The mucus think might in fact be what is causing the coughing.  I find if I have too much dairy I cough up phlegm and I don't even have lung issues, just seems to happen.  Look at how many babies are always phlegmy and their diet is strictly dairy for months.

Most Active
Recent Topics