Lost weight before surgery and then...

LeslieCL
on 1/15/17 9:10 am

has anyone lost weight before surgery then decided to continue that weight loss and forgo surgery?

Ginnny
on 1/15/17 11:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I doubt you'all find any of those people here. My question to you would be how many times have you dieted in the past and put all the weight back on and then some? 

WLS is not magic it's just a tool. You can still put the weight back on but you also have a much better chance at being successful in keeping it off. 

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Monica9811
on 1/15/17 2:08 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I agree with Ginny. We have all lost weight but then we put it back on and then some more. This surgery is a blessing but you still need to be diligent. It's not a miracle it's a tool. If you quit the process you will find yourself going through it again in another year or two when you could be at your goal weight if you go through with it now. Don't quit. Just my 2 cents though. 

roxytrim
on 1/15/17 3:32 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Yea...I had those very same thoughts when I managed to drop 30lbs. before WLS. I quickly recalled how the last time I got down to a healthy weight with WW, looking at my membership card it was just 7 months until I was not in control - and less than a year for me to gain it all back & then some...bla bla the usual story.  My sister had the surgery 2 years before me & said it was much easier to stay in control.  

I have no doubt about my decision to proceed with surgery.  You need to ask yourself some tough questions and give honest answers.  

skinny_gigi
on 1/15/17 4:17 pm

I had similar thoughts when I first started and I had to get real with myself.  If I really COULD lose it all by myself and keep it off, I would have already.  I don't think there was some hidden power locked in me that would help me be successful this time around that didn't help me the so many other times I tried.

I'm very grateful for the chance and opportunity.  It's certainly not the easy way out and it has risks just like everything else, but for me, the benefits of WLS significantly outweigh the health risks and quality of life of being morbidly obese.

Good luck to you on your journey!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

sweetart
on 1/15/17 8:20 pm - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

I've always been very successful at losing weight. I've also always been successful at finding it again. When the doctor told me to try to lose weight before surgery, I asked 'how much?' I'm that good at it. 

I'd lost nearly 70lbs before my surgery nearly 4 weeks ago. 

I do not regret the surgery at all. It's just another tool to help me be successful.

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

leeann73
on 1/16/17 6:23 pm

You are doing so GREAT Melissa - love your stats!

LeslieCL
on 1/16/17 5:52 am

I guess that's one of the things we keep telling ourselves.  I'm very early in the process so as I go along I'm sure I will get much wisdom and truth from these boards.  Thank you. 

Teena D.
on 1/17/17 7:52 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I signed up for this site and first thought about surgery in 2006. Spent 10 years convincing myself I could lose weight on my own. Finally, inspired by one of my husband' co-workers and her success, I asked my doctor for a referral. I was able to lose 13 lbs pre-surgery and at 5 days post op I'm now down 12 more for a total of 25 lbs. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Most Active
Recent Topics