Day 3 of Optifast

Kathy1212
on 1/13/17 8:27 pm

That sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

theprodg
on 1/14/17 8:27 am

I'm also on Day 3 of optifast. I didn't get any vanilla. All chocolate for this girl. They don't taste bad to me at all. I did Isagenix once and I had to gag them down so I was a little worried, but these are fine. I make them with very cold water and have tried the following things:

orange extract - didn't make much of a difference

decaf coffee ice cube - made it a bit thicker and tasted a little like a mocha

banana extract - tasted pretty good

peppermint extract - hated this one, didn't taste like mint chocolate at all.

I take them every 4 hours almost exactly. My tummy tells me but also I just find that if I take them regularly it staves off the hunger pangs. So, 8, 12, 4 and 8 and then I drink water and decaf throughout the day and have a cup of broth around 6pm.

Kathy1212
on 1/14/17 8:49 am

I'll have to try the banana extract and the decaf coffee icecubes; thanks for the tips!

I don't mind the vanilla at all. I have some berry Crystal Light that I am going to squirt into a vanilla later today; hopefully it will be good. 

I try to take mine every 4 hours too but I had a travel day when I couldn't do that (I was afraid to have my lunch shake before getting on a plane, lol). I'm back on track now though.

I'm lucky that I am allowed 2 cups of green veggies per day.  It's nice to get to chew. 

When is your surgery date?

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

theprodg
on 1/14/17 12:24 pm

My surgery is January 26. I'm not allowed any veggies :-( I tried making sugar free popsicles with Mio and water. Total disaster. They tasted disgusting.

Daisydoo02
on 1/15/17 11:51 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

You can find sugar free Popsicle at No Frills or Price Chopper.  Helped me a lot!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

MC_Akeson
on 1/14/17 6:04 pm - Ontario, Canada

For those who didn't get variations for Optifast...

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Kathy1212
on 1/14/17 8:30 pm

Thank you so much!

Kathy  

Daisydoo02
on 1/15/17 11:57 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I used orange extract in my vanilla opti for an orange "creamsicle" flavour and it was really good

I used raspberry crystal light powder in my chocolate opti for a "chocolate raspberry" flavour, it was really good

I heard of lots of people putting instant coffee in their chocolate opti and making the opti with ho****er the temp that comes out of a Keurigi (not Kettle boiling) and said it was like having a mocha coffee. Anything that helps right!

In the beginning of Opti I finished all 4 per day, near the end close to my surgery date I was not hungry and quite sick of drinking shakes so much and only drank 3 a day. I was at TWH and I was allowed chicken or beef broth and sugar free popsicles. I used the beef broth a lot, I would say a cup of beef broth and water it down a bit, warm it up and it was yummy.  I found sugar free popscicles at either No Frills or Price Chooper, what a life saver to have those. 

Good luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Kathy1212
on 1/15/17 2:29 pm, edited 1/15/17 6:29 am

Thanks, Daisy. I'll try the orange extract. I didn't like it with crystal lite; I found it too sweet in the vanilla. I bet it would be nicer in the chocolate.

We have a Keurig; I should give the hot chocolate a try.  I'm getting tired of cold things.

I'm loving my broth, and I've been planning on testing out all sorts of herbal teas as well. I had apple cinnamon herbal tea today and it was OK.  Smelled great but just tasted like sour ho****er, lol.  The smell was amazing though, and it was nice to have something warm to drink.

I don't know if I"m allowed sugar free Popsicles  or not; I am allowed sugar free drinks though, so it should be the same thing as a drink (only frozen, lol).  Just not sure if I can stomach more cold things, even though I normally love Popsicles.

Kathy  

Tracks
on 1/15/17 3:01 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I had a little peppermint extract in my chocolate today - I really liked it.   I had trouble finding more extract flavours at the grocery store.  I went online and found a place in Mississauga that carries LarAnn products.  

I will speak to them in person as these are meant for baking, but it looks to me like these are all sugar-free flavourings.   They have orange, chocolate, banana, cherry, raspberry - tons and tons of options.   I'm thinking these might be nice to have on hand in the future to mix into plain greek yogurt.

Most Active
Recent Topics