Newbie. Anyone in Ontario pay for surgery themselves?

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/13/17 8:54 pm - Windsor, Canada

I've talked to some that have done dr colbourne sleeve self pay and many who have gone through Mexico too.  

I will tell you the the process is important.   You need to change prior to surgery.  This will be hard long term. First tesr or two is easy.  Long term not so much. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Hammer_Down
on 1/14/17 12:04 pm
VSG on 10/27/16

I'm from NS, where there is only 1 Bariatric surgeon in the province. The wait time is close to 7 years, start to finish and so I looked elsewhere.

Paying upwards of $20k wasn't an option, not was attending seminars and group therapy out of province. I self paid through A Lighter Me in Mexico.

Until recently, I belonged to another online forum and was amazed how many patients in the USA received suboptimal care compared to how well I was cared for in Mexico.

Total cost was about $6k CAD, plus $650 for flights to San Diego from Halifax and back. Cost included hotels, transportation and all associated costs except airfare. 

I was gone for 6 days and 5 nights, 1 in the hotel preop, 2 night stay at the hospital, 2 nights in the hotel post op on a medical floor with doctors and nurses coming to our room for checks.

Freeway philosopher.

odie
on 1/14/17 2:25 pm
RNY on 05/26/14

I live in Quebec and was on the waiting list for four years!!  Also, whenever someone's health or weight was critical, they jumped ahead in the line.  I live on the border of Quebec and Ontario and had to drive 4 hours each way to see the surgeon.  I was going to self pay for the LapBand in Toronto but when I got there they wouldn't operate cause my breathing was too bad.  Which I was grateful about cause the building did not look too clean!!  It would have cost me $11000.00.  In the end my Gastric Bypass was covered by the government.

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Nura777
on 1/14/17 2:44 pm

I am a self-pay w/ Dr. Gagner in Montreal - VSG. I agree with everyone! I can't underscore how important the prep period is and the support system. You have to be very very strong to do this on your own. I have had to form my own support system, my family doctor, therapist familliar with WLS and my family :) next, I am hoping to attend one of the Toronto West support groups meetups. I would suggest you stick to the OBN system it may take longer but its easier on you. 

100Buttons
on 1/26/17 11:36 pm
RNY on 03/03/17

I was referred in March, received my letter in May, orientation in June, about 8 Apts/classes Aug to Dec.  Received my call in Jan for meet the surgeon in March 3,  hoping for surgery April to early May.  It's a process.  I think you need a minimum of 6 months to get your head into it.  Minimum.  10 months would probably be ideal.  14 feels like torchure.  I think it's worth the wait for the at home support, both before and after.  However, if I were declined for whatever reason I would have no problem going to Mexico.  There is an app called Bariatric Pal.  It's mostly Americans and many go self pay in Mexico with fabulous results.  Maybe look into both simultaneously.

Most Active
Recent Topics