Home and doing well

Mom2Chi
on 1/11/17 11:52 am

RNY was on Monday and it went well.  I am home and going between walking and resting.  I'm having trouble distinguishing between gas pains that need to worked out and surgical pains that require medication. Any suggestions on that?  

Also, when they say to drink 1 ounce every 15 min is that so you drink enough or don't drink too much? If I'm able is it OK to drink more?

HW 260 SW 239 CW 145
RNY JAN 9/2017 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Manda32
on 1/11/17 1:06 pm

I'm so glad everything went well for you!

Since I'm still pre-op I can't really answer your questions accurately, but I think in regards to drinking every 15 minute, I think its so you don't get dehydrated.

I'm sure people who've gone through this will respond and give you an accurate answer.

I would 'assume' if you can drink more and no discomfort it wouldn't be an issue, but that's an assumption.

Either way glad to hear you are out of the hospital and doing well.

Keep us posted.

Speedy healing!!!

Kathy1212
on 1/11/17 1:37 pm

I'm so happy your surgery went well!  Congratulations on making to to the losers bench.  Hopefully you will have less and less pain every day.

I just started Day one of Opti today so I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. It's good to hear you're able to drink your liquids; so many people struggle to get them down.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Take care,

Kathy

Monica9811
on 1/11/17 2:52 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Glad everything went well. I would just follow their instructions. 1 oz every 15 minutes is what and all you need and it will seem like a full time job at times!  Take Tylenol if you have pain. If it doesn't go away you know it's gas. Walk and move around. That should help. Good luck!!

sneezy6145
on 1/11/17 5:33 pm

Congratulations and happy all is well. 

The surgical pain lasted about 2 weeks for me. I slept on the couch because the mussels in my stomach hurt when I tried to sit up to get out of my bed. I used the prescription Tylenol for those weeks. (I also had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my RNY so I had extra pain). That helped with my gas pains too. As long as you are passing gas, that will help.  As for water intake, if you want to drink and can handle it then don't see why that would be a problem. As long as you're not substituting water for food.

Mom2Chi
on 1/12/17 5:54 am

Thank you all for the well wishes and advice.

HW 260 SW 239 CW 145
RNY JAN 9/2017 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

White Dove
on 1/12/17 8:21 am - Warren, OH

You drink an ounce at a time because your insides are all swollen.  When the swelling goes down, you can drink normally again.  For me, it was about two weeks.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kap74
on 1/13/17 1:35 pm

Welcome home, isn't it nice to be back in your own space! each day will get better- I promise. I'm at day 8 after surgery and feeling great. All the steri strips came off a coupel days ago and food is going down a little easier every day. The gas pains were up until day 3 for me. Good Luck to you!

Referral: August 2015; TWH Orientation: December 14, 2015; Social Worker: Jan 27 2016; Nurse Practitioner: March 14; Nutrition Class: April 26; Psych Evaluation: June 7; Nutritionist: July 21; Meet the Surgeon: Oct.21 2016; Pre-Op: December 16, 2016; Scheduled Surgery: January 5 2017! HW 248; SW 237 ... GW 138.  Feeling grateful and fortunate to have this opportunity.

Most Active
Recent Topics