Decision made

OrangeBlossom17
on 1/10/17 6:25 pm

I attended WLS information session at the hospital this week. After the session I made the decision to have the surgery. I am so thankful to this forum and all of the information posted. It has really helped me with my decision and I know it will help me on this journey. Next step, an appointment with the nurse practitioner who will hopefully approve me for the program.

FozzieBear
on 1/11/17 9:28 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Congratulations on making at decision. Use the time from now until then to make as many positive changes as you can and read as much as possible to prepare yourself. The more you can alter your diet, exercise and water intake pre surgery the less of a shock post surgery life will be. Good luck!!

RNY - Nov 21st 2016

HW 386 SW 309.8 CW 174.1

M1: 17 M2: 17.2 M3: 12.6 M4: 18.8 M5: 14.4 M6: 18.4 M7: 13.5 M8: 13.1 M9: 7.8

Christine

kamac
on 1/11/17 5:22 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Congrats! I'm just a little farther along than you in the "process"- had my Orientation in December, and just had my appointment with the Nurse last week. I was maybe 50/50 on whether I really wanted WLS when I walked into the Orientation, but I was so impressed by it all, and the program seemed so well-run, I came out knowing that it was the right decision for me.

It's a lot to take in and feels a little overwhelming sometimes, but reading the forum here is such a big help.

Best of luck to you!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

OrangeBlossom17
on 1/11/17 5:32 pm

Could you tell me about your meeting with the Nurse practitioner? Questions she asked etc.? I am curious about the next step. 

Referred:Oct 2016 Orientation: Jan 9th/17 Nurse: Apr 4th/17 PreOp Class 1: Apr 2017 Nut/SW:Jun 13th/17 Psych:Jun 29th/17 PreOp Class 2: July 11th/17 Meet the Surgeon:July 12th/17 Endoscopy: July 21st/17 RNY Surgery: August 25th/17

Opti-15lbs M1-18.5lbs M2-12.5lbs M3-10lbs M4-10lbs M5-4lbs M6-15lbs, M7-5lbs M8-

kamac
on 1/12/17 10:27 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Sure! I'm in Kingston, so not sure how different things are at other places....before Orientation, I had to fill-out and hand-in a multi-page questionnaire about my medical history, family history, weight history, mental health issues, plus questions about what I think about my weight, how I got here, why I want to lose weight, what I'm hoping to get out of WLS, etc. When I saw the Nurse Practitioner, she had read it all and had a copy with her to refer to during our appointment. 

She weighted me, measured my height, and took my blood pressure. Then she asked me some questions about my medical history based on the paperwork. She explained I might have to do a new sleep study, will need to see an Internist because my blood pressure is a little high and also to discuss a previous issue I've had with chronic hives, and that I'll probably need to see a Psychologist. I have issues with emotional/binge eating (that I've been tackling in therapy) and she addressed that. Warned me that binge eating after surgery can literally kill you. That's when I started to worry I wouldn't "pass" my assessment with her!

But I had no need to worry. She asked me how I came to want WLS, how I heard about the program. Finally she said that she thought WLS would be a positive thing for me. I was so relieved! I had the opportunity to ask her questions, and then she gave me a requisition for a blood test and ECG (which I had done at the labs at the hospital after our appointment). She walked me back to the receptionist and I made my next appointment for Social Work and the Dietician.

The appointment with the Nurse, including getting my blood and ECG done at the labs, took about an hour. Much quicker than I thought!

I was also allowed to bring a "support person" (spouse/family/friend) with me to the appointment with the Nurse, which was nice because I was nervous.

Hope that helps!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics