Optifast Assistance

MicheleA
on 1/9/17 11:51 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Firstly I'd like to say thank you to all who post on this forum. It's been extremely informative and helpful.

My surgery is scheduled for January 30th at HRH and today I started Optifast. I have tried both the Chocolate and Vanilla today and I find both leave a terrible aftertaste in my mouth. So much so it's making me gag as I drink it.

Any suggestions on how to make that aftertaste disappear?

Thank you

Michele

Starnaenae
on 1/9/17 12:01 pm

For the chocolate i added 3 drops of caramel extract and aome cinnamon and for the vanilla i added a tsp of instant decaf coffee and some cinnamon. Really helped mask the taste

MicheleA
on 1/9/17 12:19 pm

Thank you so much. I was dreading drinking more today.

Tracks
on 1/9/17 12:09 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

Hi Michele,  I am going through HRH as well.  Jan 25th, just a few days ahead of you.

Optifast is rough!  Thanks to other postings, I have found adding some decaf coffee crystals to the vanilla makes a huge difference! It's much too sweet.   For the chocolate, I have tried adding some sugar free syrups (hazelnut and english toffee flavour) and I found I just prefer the chocolate on it's own.   I had read about putting extracts in (banana for example) which sounds good - but I haven't got any handy so haven't tried it yet.

For me, mixing with extra water helps.  I've read others suggesting blending it with ice and having it super cold helps.

We will get through this!! 

MicheleA
on 1/9/17 12:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. You are right. We will get through it one way or another.

I noticed you are from Halton. Me too! We will have to connect down the road.

Good luck with surgery if we are not typing again.

crqvingchange
on 1/9/17 2:18 pm

Lots of ice and decaf coffee crystals blended helped me get through it.  Also, using a cup with a lid and straw so that I didn't have to smell it.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

MicheleA
on 1/9/17 2:44 pm

Thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics