When they say eat slowly....do it!!

mysha
on 12/4/14 10:57 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

Had 3 oz of tilapia, 2 tbsp of potatoes and 3 brussel sprouts..have not had any issues before now...but tonight..I ate too fast and unfortunately I threw up...I really don't want that to ever happen again and hopefully have learnt my lesson.

Karen M.
on 12/4/14 7:23 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Lesson learnt, Mysha - it's not any fun at all, is it! Slowing down the eating process is a real challenge at first and takes a lot of practice and (unfortunately) some trial and error. It could be that the amount of food you ate was also part of the issue.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 12/4/14 7:50 pm

I threw up a few times the first month and a half, both times because I was not paying attention enough so ate a little too much or too fast. It helps me to visualize a golf ball when deciding how much to eat, that way I know I will not go over what my pouch can handle. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/14 8:27 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I've been really lucky... I have so far been able to tolerate every food I've tried, and no barfing at all... Knock on wood! The eating slow takes practice, for sure... On a separate note, I definitely no longer sip drinks, I'm not sure if this is a bad thing.. But it's nice to be able to gulp a big mouthful when thirsty, a teeny sip just doesn't cut it. 

msmuggins
on 12/4/14 9:16 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

OMG, that's exactly what I've been stuck on...I was horrified at the idea of only ever being able to take tiny sips.  So you can take a decent gulp and it doesn't hurt?  If so, hallelujah!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/14 10:44 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

LOL You crack me up. I would said I am able to take two full mouthfuls and swallow twice with one sip, if that makes sense. Like I'm not stopping drinking after I swallow one mouthful, I'm now up to two mouthfuls then stop. And YES, big gulps. Jeez this is hard to explain via text LOL - anywho, each passing week it gets easier. But I definitely could only handle sips until like week 5. 

msmuggins
on 12/4/14 11:48 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

There's something that I've always found awesome about taking a gulp of water (I know, I'm a weirdo)... I've been trying to practice taking small sips (as I'll need to do that for the first little while) but I'm sooooo jazzed that there's the potential to be able to drink water somewhat normally!  I'm having performance anxiety about the eating/drinking post surgery.  I'm probably going to end up learning the hard way about what works and doesn't, unfortunately.  It's all going to require a lot of concentration. 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/14 12:39 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I loved water too... Week 7, still can't drink it. It hurts. That is the one and only thing I cannot tolerate. Plain water. Apparently its pretty common after surgery, I had no idea.

msmuggins
on 12/5/14 1:14 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Does it depend on the temperature of the water (too cold? not cold enough?)?  I really hope I don't have the same issue because I love water --  just plain water!  I'd prefer not to put flavourings or anything in it if I can avoid it.

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Most Active
Fall Clothing Exchange!!!
Mallory · 0 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics