Is anyone one over 50 when they had surgery?

Sallygeewiz
on 11/4/14 12:58 pm

I am 51 and just looking for support from others who have gone threw this surgery kind of anxious but a good anxious.  Only at the beginning but looking for encouragement to add as friends to talk with ty.

Laurie C.
on 11/4/14 4:22 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Sally:

I was 55 when I had my surgery and I don't think my age had anything to do with it.  I probably had a few more aches and pains but I got over it. 

I'm 57 now and feel pretty great.

My husband had his surgery at 62 (8 months ago) and he is doing well also.  He is an Insulin dependent Diabetic and takes so much less medication it is amazing.

We might have taken a little longer to jump back into normal but age and stage can do that to you.

We are both in much better shape now, walking, snowshoeing and just moving more than before surgery it's tremendous.

Don't worry they won't allow the surgery if you aren't well enough, they don't want any bad stats either.  Give yourself a chance and seriously look into it.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Patm
on 11/4/14 8:10 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was 59 with diabetes,  high blood pressure and cholesterol medication. I was unable to walk very far due to joint pain. I am now off diabetes and blood pressure meds. I just had my cholesterol meds dosage lowered.  Although I wish I had done this years ago I am so grateful for the surgery. I have a new life. I walk and bike. I have tried new things I never thought I would try.

No one can tell you if this surgery is right for you. I can tell you it was a life saver for me

Wendy-Louise
on 11/4/14 11:12 pm - Canada

Hi I just had my 56th birthday yesterday and exactly one week out from surgery, I am doing fantastic. I was out in 30 hours having no complications so far. For me I wanted a change while I was still young enough and healthy enough to go through it and have a better quality of life. In all fairness though I am a farmer and pretty active but it is too hard lugging around all this extra weight. All summer I couldn't wait every night for dark so I could go to bed, some nights I didn't wait. Looking forward to having more energy next summer . Good Luck with your decision.

joeyanne
on 11/4/14 11:17 pm - Canada

I had surgery Oct 10th and turned 53 Oct 25. So happy I did it.

REF Nov 28/13. INFO Mar 10/14. SOHI Apr 11/14. R.N,DIETITIAN and DR GLAZIER Jun 23/14. SW Jul 17/14. SOHI Jul 25/14. SURGERY Oct 10/14

pegawatt
on 11/5/14 1:52 am - Canada

Had my surgery July 15/2014 and it was much easier than I expected sailed through the whole thing. I'm 56 so you can see its very easy and no one regrets it we all wish we'd done it sooner.

Kilmartin56
on 11/5/14 6:05 am - Canada

I am currently 58 and will be 59 by the time I have surgery. I plan to have so much fun dancing at my 60th birthday party! 

starfish52
on 11/5/14 8:10 am - Canada

I was 53 no regrets other than i wish i had of done this sooner!

Needanewbeginning
on 11/5/14 8:51 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Me too, I was 51, wish I had done it sooner!

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Elizabeth C.
on 11/5/14 9:02 am

I will turn 52 the day after my surgery. I am so excited for this birthday gift to myself, I could burst! To feel better, have the potential to get off meds, and easing of joint pain is something I've been afraid to dream. I can't wait to pinch myself, come December 18!

Most Active