Eating and weight loss 5 weeks post op....advice

Daisy_does_it
on 11/4/14 10:12 am - Scarborough, Canada

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some advice please.

I'm 5 weeks post op, and not sure if I'm eating too much.  I follow the guidelines of what I'm allowed to eat particularly focusing on protein, however when I plug in the figures into My Fitness Pal, the calories range in the 800-1,000 range.  I asked the clinic and they said not to focus on calories, but I have to wonder if this is appropriate?  Part of the reason I question this is because my weight loss has stalled over the past 3-4 days.   I've lost 20 lbs since surgery (in addition to the 22 lbs on Opti).

I just want to ensure I'm on the right track.  Is my calorie consumption normal?  Is my weight loss sufficient?

Thank you!!!

Lima
on 11/4/14 10:23 am

I too am 5 weeks post up tomorrow. I have lost 27lbs pre op and only 14lbs post op. I'm wondering why it's going so painfully slow as well. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/4/14 11:40 am - Windsor, Canada

Just do not go over that mark of 800-1000 calories.   Usually that is until goal. High protein and more  protein than carbs. 

A stall is normal. 

http://diminishingdawnreturns.blogspot.ca/2011/03/inevitable-first-stall.html?m=1

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Prosperitybl2me
on 11/4/14 7:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi..I'm six weeks out and have had the gastric sleeve as well. You're doing much better than I'm as far as food intake. I am still having trouble getting in enough food, only about 400-550 calories a day, not to mention the protein and liquid. I was concerned about this and when I saw the Dietitian last week she said the main focus is to make sure I'm getting all the required fluids. They did not seem to concerned about protein or food for that matter. Maybe because my fluids were low. I shared with them my concerns about the"amount" of food or that of we should be in taking. For me I get a little nervous thinking I have to in take "so much", well to me it seems a lot, which I'm sure it's not, not to mention as well the thought of, if I don't do it like it say's will it work? One thing my surgeon emphasized was, if you're full then just stop. It's kind of trial and error to listen to your body and understand what's happening...as far as the weight, that too is normal. They said it takes at least a good month, two months to let your body "settle" and weight will be unpredictable. They said by the second third month it will really start to come off..so no worries and best of luck to you!! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/14 9:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

When I was five weeks out I was as frustrated as you are.  I focused on protein and not calories and at around 8 weeks the weight started flying off.  Just be patient stalls are normal.  I have been stalled now for a few weeks and I am 7 months post op.

Hope this reassures you things are normal for you.

Kelly

Daisy_does_it
on 11/4/14 10:18 pm - Scarborough, Canada

Thanks everyone!  

jan32
on 11/4/14 11:07 pm

I am almost 6 weeks post op and have lost 18lbs since surgery so I understand your frustration!  I have days where I think that is it..I won't lose anymore weight but hopefully that isn't the case.  Mine issue is a little different as I was a revision from sleeve to rny and my bmi pre op was below 35 (not sure the exact number with the 1 week opti weight lost)...I know revisions lose slower so I guess I will keep plugging away...slow and steady wins the race!  I am concentrating on protein first..for example, for dinner last night I had chicken breast and veggies...by the time I had finished 1 oz of the chicken I was too full to finish the rest of the meal.

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 2:23 am - Mississauga, Canada

Jan, it sounds like you are doing great!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

jan32
on 11/6/14 12:37 am

Thanks Karen..I am really trying :)

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 2:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

All I can say about weight loss is, it is what it is. Some people lose fast at first then grind to a halt, others lose steadily all the way along, still others lose erratically.... no two people are the same. If you are following your centre guidelines you will lose weight. Keep doing what you are doing! :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active