Purée All The Things!

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 9:43 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Whatever it takes to get this done is exactly what you need to do - awesome attitude.

K. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

msmuggins
on 11/5/14 9:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Kyamjo, re: protein shakes, it took me forever to find one that I enjoyed.  Most of the ones they sell in the drugstore really turned me off.  You may want to buy some samples (most of the big brands sell single serving envelopes) and try a bunch of them.  There are also protein powders that mix into a drink that tastes more like a juice than something that's milky (Syntrax Nectar is one brand that I like for these).  I guess it's trial and error, really. And to complicate things further, most vets report a change in tastes immediately following surgery.  I guess the best thing you can do is keep trying different protein shakes until you find one that works.  Or do as Kelly suggested above and mix unflavoured protein powder into savoury foods like soups and stews. 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

TES
on 11/5/14 10:31 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I pureed chicken breast and sweet potato and added a bit of skim milk to thin it out.  Looked disgusting, but holy crap after optifast and full fluids it was ambrosial. It'd take only a couple of spoonfuls to "fill" me up.  I was also a big fan of cottage cheese at that point too.  I also pureed white beans with homemade tomato sauce (nicely spiced up for flavour).  Hummus was another go-to.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/5/14 11:06 pm, edited 11/6/14 1:43 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I haven't ever eaten anything pureed before (still going through the process for surgery) but when my father went through his transition to dentures, my mom pureed EVERYTHING. She'd serve each food item in a separate cup, it was a little disturbing actually. His favorite food items were hard-boiled eggs and cottage cheese (blended together)and the one thing he asked her to never blend again was Salmon. It scarred him pretty badly too, because to date he hasn't eaten it again, says he can't stand the smell -  lol 

*edited to clarify,  hard boiled eggs :)

TeraLee
on 11/6/14 2:00 pm

Vegetarian chilli has been my go to during purée. I thought I would be doing chunky soups but the smell... Oh god the smell is like dog food and I just can't do it! Lol I think my sense of smell is heightened since surgery.

msmuggins
on 11/7/14 1:31 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

TeraLee, this is actually my nightmare... I'm trying to do as much planning before my surgery as possible, whi*****ludes prepping and freezing some food for the pureé phase, but I guess it's going to be like Russian Roulette when it comes to my taste buds post op.  I just hope I don't end up hating anything that I stocked up on (but I would feel more anxious if I didn't have a lot of things ready).  It's really a Catch 22!  

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/14 4:53 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Funny, it smells delicious to me (after surgery, didn't before.  LOL

Most Active