Purée All The Things!

msmuggins
on 11/5/14 8:31 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

I can't even understand the thought process that would result in anyone thinking it was a good idea to put a burger in a blender - especially one from McDonalds (they don't even taste that great pre-purée!).  Sigh.

When I saw the suggestion to buy baby food in the manual, my immediate thought was "Hells no!!"  Other than a puréed pizza slice or burger, I can't think of anything less appetizing.

Did any of you have problems with your pouch tolerating spices?  My turkey chilli recipe is really healthy but it also has many different kinds of powdered hot peppers in it.  Not in quantities sufficient to scorch your face off but there's definitely a kick to it.  Would this cause my pouch to freak out?

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 8:56 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I had no problem at all with spicy foods but I know others who have had difficulty with them. It's pretty individual.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 11/5/14 7:15 pm - Toronto, Canada

Wow! Pizza and Big Macs good god that's nuts.  

I didn't puree much either. I loved hummus. I added protein powder to everything. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

msmuggins
on 11/5/14 8:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Adding protein powder to everything is a great idea.  I've bought some unflavoured whey isolate that I can add to soups and savouries. 

I've got a great smoothie recipe too with spinach, kefir, flax, berries, and protein powder that is out of this world (hopefully my taste buds concur post surgery).

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 8:54 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You're going to have to be careful post-op with homemade veggie/fruit protein shakes - far too many carbs, need to watch the seeds in the berries, etc.

Karen

msmuggins
on 11/5/14 9:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Agreed.  I guess a good idea would be to measure or weigh everything and then plug it into a recipe program to see what the results are in terms of carb to protein ratio. This particular recipe only has about 1/2 a cup of berries. This morning I used a mix of cherries and blueberries.  But I guess even the kefir has dairy sugars in it (dairy products are sneaky that way - even plain, unadulterated dairy has some naturally occurring sugars).

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 9:17 pm, edited 11/5/14 9:17 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, the dairy does have carbs (natural sugars) BUT dairy also provides protein. Fruits and vegetables do not. You need protein.

P.S. 1/2 a cup of berries is a LOT of berries.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/14 9:05 pm, edited 11/5/14 9:05 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I puree everything. I find stews / chunky soups feel the best with my tummy. Even soups I never touched post op, like chunky chicken corn chowder, which purees really well, and feels like a meal, has become one of my favs. Which is funny, seeing as I used to call it dog food. I searched it on here after I enjoyed it so much, and it seems many others dig the chunky soup thing during the pureed stage too. Something about it feeling like a meal, I guess....Its not too bad on the nutritional side of things either.

http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Chunky/Traditional/2431

So not the weirdest thing, but definitely something I didn't think I would ever eat. Love pea soup too. Warms my tummy. 

msmuggins
on 11/5/14 9:16 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

I never even considered pureeing Chunky soup - what a great idea, especially if it's one of those days when you can't bear to cook!  I usually have a stash of chunky chicken noodle at work as emergency rations to use when I don't have time to go out for lunch and didn't pack one, so I certainly like the taste pre-puréed.

Welcome home by the way (that is, if you are home from Texas). That trip sounded so awful for you... I hope you're feeling better and warm at home with your doggie.

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Kyamjo
on 11/5/14 9:33 pm

I haven't had my wls, but I love this post cause this i something I will need to know. I don't eat big macs or pizza now so I am safe there lol. I think I might eat hummus and creamed cauliflower cause I already love them. I am a texter person and I worry about things like that. I even worry about the protein shakes cause i don't like them either , but I will do whatever it takes to get this done. 

Most Active