Work Travel post op is VERY VERY hard

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/14 6:05 am, edited 11/4/14 6:17 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

At least in the beginning... I don't think I should have agreed to a work trip 9 days post op, I am STRUGGLING. My stomach has been crampy and in pain for three straight days, and I am sure it is due to lack of nutrients. At least I think... Its a constant cramp in the lower abdomen that is not going away, at all. I also have only had three tiny bowel movements since surgery on October 20th, so this could be the cause as well (been taking stool softeners and drinking metamucil as advised, still nothing)...But I really think its due to the very minimal food I have consumed since being here. 

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing here for me to eat (I'm in Austin TX)  I have full work days where I am unable to leave the hotel, and all three meals are catered, and none of it I can eat. NONE OF IT. Think pasta, rice, brisket, steak, caesar salad drenched in dressing, ALL POP / no juice... Etc...The hotel doesn't even have mashed potatoes. I assumed the south would have that at least.

Its been very very challenging, and hard, and I cannot wait to get home. I feel hungry, and sick. I did speak to the hotel and the only thing they were able to supply was yogurt. So today I had yogurt, my tummy felt so much better after, but that only lasted a short while. I also noticed water makes me feel ill... After some googling, it seems this is a common thing for post ops? 

I should have taken more time off. This is the first time I have felt so sick since surgery... I hope once I get home and back to my scheduled food plan, it will subside...Miss my home, and my doggy. Lesson learned, next time I will call the hotel ahead and make them aware of my dietary needs... Never assume you will be able to wing it.

I just feel completely ill right now, and it sucks.

Zizzler
on 11/4/14 6:24 am

Sorry you are not feeling good. I took 4 weeks off and was still exhausted when I went back.  Also found that one day I would feel great then the next day completely rotten, so it can be misleading.  I almost went back at 3 weeks was feeling so you'd but most people need 4 weeks. Hope you feel better soon.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/14 6:36 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I definitely should have taken more time, but my boss was kinda on me about how important this trip was... As I'm here now, feeling so ill, I know I should have stood my ground. My health comes first.

and I totally get what you're saying in regards to one day feeling fine, the next feeling crappy, my days have been that way since surgery too. I do know when I was home, and eating my regular plan set out by my NUT, I felt fine... I'm hoping that feeling returns once I get home. 

Thanks for the well wishes:) 

msmuggins
on 11/4/14 7:50 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you're stuck in this kind of situation.  That's rotten indeed!  I hope the trip is over quickly so you can be back home and more comfortable!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/14 8:48 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

TRIP IS OVER! Jenni is home and comfy! Thanks!!

jaxie77
on 11/4/14 8:11 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Aw doll  That sucks ! I was gonna message you tonight to see how you were doing as well ! 

How long do u have to stay there ? If much longer , no way you can pop out to a grocery store and grab some things ? cottage cheese or made up mash or something ? I hope you don't have to suffer much longer . Keep an eye on those pains and take care of yourself darlin ! I know it's hard with the situation you're in right now ! 

Let us know when you get back and how you are  xx

Jax xx

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/14 8:50 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hey lady, unfortunately I was not expecting to be jailed to the hotel with meetings after meetings... I assumed I'd be able to get out to a grocery store, but nope. My days started at 6am, and went until about 9pm... Needless to say, it was very challenging! But I am on the couch at my lovely home now! WOOHOO.

Congrats to you again on finally getting your date!! xo

roxytrim
on 11/4/14 8:48 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I don't know how much longer you need to be away but explain to the hotel that you have a medical condition and require a fridge in your room.  Go to the grocery store and get some supplies in.  That really was way too soon to travel after major surgery, and if you do travel alot for work, when you make hotel resos, request for medical reasons you require a fridge in the room. 

Take care of yourself, please be careful and get some nutrition in.

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/14 8:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks for the kind words, but there was really no way around it. I was there for work. It was an all day convention that I had to stay put in the hotel for. I was unable to get out and get groceries. 

I made it through, home now, feeling 100% better! No more travel for me for a while now! 

ChristineV
on 11/4/14 9:20 am

I'm sorry to hear that this business trip is so difficult on you.  I hope you get back home soon and are able to take care of yourself.

Get well soon!

Christine

Most Active