OT Hockey Parent Help

Catw
on 11/4/14 1:07 am - Arnprior, Canada

It's only good for me if I want to throw up.  Which is why I can't drink most protein shakes.  Hmm, that's an idea.  Wonder if he'd like peach mango.  I have some protein powder at home that is fruit based, should try him on it.  See what he thinks, could be a milk alternative for right after the game.  Should mix some up tomorrow and have him try it.

I agree, tournaments are tiring (even for Mommas) but they are fun for all.

4-Jane
on 11/3/14 8:54 pm - Canada

I might consider taking him out of hockey or at least making it very clear that his need to nourish his body comes first . Shame on those organizing things that they can't understand it should be about fun and good health first.  He's a child, and I'm sorry you guys are faced with this, as I'm sure he loves to play.

Respectfully Jane
Catw
on 11/3/14 9:56 pm - Arnprior, Canada

It appears that you do not spend any time at ice rinks for any reason.  Most ice rinks have a canteen, and offer only things like popcorn, chips, chocolate bars, and if you are lucky french fries and pizza.  Sometimes they do offer a breakfast sandwich, if you are very lucky.  At some tournaments, the host of the tournament will have a meal, such as pizza or hot dogs.  Neither of which are good for my son's stomach if he gets an anxity attack.

I would also like to clarify that hockey is not the source of my son's anxiety, he has had anxiety issues since he was a toddler.  My son has been a goalie for over 3 years now, and last year was the first time he started taking anxiety attacks, and they started mid season.  There are a number of triggers to my son's anxiety attacks, including the anxiety of vomiting when he gets anxious.  The changes that we have made to his routine have helped him through this.

I posted on here as I try to cut costs and not buy a lot from the canteen, and bring my own.  I was looking for ideas for food that were appropriate so that I could give him something healthy to eat in between games, that would be easily digested to avoid the vomiting.  He may still be anxious until he hits the ice, but I won't have to clean up his helmet last minute.

Cathy

TES
on 11/3/14 11:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Cathy;

Sorry to hear about your son's anxiety ... but it sounds like you guys are doing a great job at managing it.  As for food, what about things like deli meat/cheese roll ups, a few crackers, a bit of fruit (grapes, cut up apple, etc)?  Decent protein, carbs and good sugars.  Don't know if this would work, but instead of chips, but still a "snack food" type snack, roasted and flavoured chickpeas?  There's a ton of recipes online, you basically drain & rinse a can of chickpeas, drizzle with a little olive oil and your favourite flavours (I like garlic salt).  Bake until crunchy, toss them in some tupperware and it's an easy, healthy snack.

Good luck to your son this weekend!

Catw
on 11/4/14 1:01 am - Arnprior, Canada

I have a feeling it's going to be a "snacky" picnic for us for both meals.  Enough little things to satisfy all of us.  My 2 boys, Mom (if she comes) and me.  Between all that, I work around anxiety, not being able to sit for 2 minutes, diabetes, and my tummy.  And pack the advil, tylonal, and gravol.  Thankfully, the gravol doesn't put him to sleep.

Thanks for the luck wishes.  We've played 5 games and he's had 5 shut outs (we share the net, but he hasn't let one in).  Not looking forward to the first goal against him.

Cathy

Most Active