Peanuts

Lima
on 11/1/14 2:28 pm

Tonight I had a craving for peanuts. I'm not sure I should be eating them at only 4.5 weeks out but I measured 2 oz and had about 1.5 oz. they satisfied my craving and I tolerated them well. Hope I didn't do any harm. 

KerryF.
on 11/1/14 9:00 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

at 4 weeks I was eating a tablespoon of whipped Peanut butter, if you chewed well enough it should be the same

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Karen M.
on 11/1/14 10:53 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I don't believe it is at all the same. Whipped peanut butter is light and full of air. Peanuts are crunchy, salty legumes no matter how you chew them. Slippery slope.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Karen M.
on 11/1/14 10:37 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Is eating 2 oz of peanuts on your centre's food plan?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/14 10:57 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

At 4.5 weeks I was on soft foods and peanuts were definitely not allowed. Nuts were actually one of the last things in solids to try. They are right up there with raw fruit and veggies. Just because you could eat it doesn't mean you should. You wouldn't know how well you actually tolerated them on the inside as your nerve endings are not healed yet. I would t so it again but that is just me. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/2/14 1:30 am - Windsor, Canada

No they aren't on your plan.  It's important to realize that a craving is often a head issue. Our bodies don't NEED to fill a craving. That's our head.  To be successful, you are going to have to work at saying no every time your fat head says it wants something.  Practice this now and start putting off cravings and find more suitable, "on program" substitutes when a craving arises.  Hunger/cravings are not an emergency.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Eggface
on 11/2/14 2:04 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Maybe a protein shake with powdered peanut butter (Chike PB or PB2) http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/01/girl- scout-cookie-combat-2012.html as an alternative. The powdered stuff is also great mixed in Greek yogurt.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Delicious_Delilah
on 11/2/14 4:35 am - Ottawa, Canada

Yeah, have to agree with the others. Nuts this soon out is probably not a good idea. And close to 2oz is a lot!  Just 1oz has close to 200 calories!  I allow myself about an ounce of nuts if I'm working out that day, but I'm also two years out from surgery. I probably started eating a small amount of nuts or natural peanut butters, at about six months out. 

There is a trick to determine if you're having real hunger vs. head hunger. When I think I'm hungry, but not sure if it's real or not, I ask myself if I could settle for an apple instead of say nuts. If the answer is yes, then it's real hunger. Of course, it's too early out for you to use the "apple" trick as apples aren't on your list of food items...but you get the concept!  

Like the suggestion to use PB2 -- in a protein shake or even rehydrated and spread on a cracker/melba toast or slice of apple/celery (when you're at that stage of course). 

Good luck and keep that head hunger at bay!!

DD

Lima
on 11/2/14 7:29 am

My centre doesn't specifically have a plan at this stage it just says foods for life and nuts are high in protein. It really wasn't a craving I guess I thought nuts would be a good choice due to the high amount of protein. 

mermaidz
on 11/2/14 7:52 am - Brampton, Canada

The PB2 is pretty good stuff actually. And it slides around the new "pipes" a bit easier. I seem  to remember something about because you can't ....something about little pieces getting stuck in the new anastomosis?

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active