My first Christmas Party invite of the year...Any tips?

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/14 8:03 pm, edited 10/24/14 8:06 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I'm pretty nervous about how my new way of life will mix with my career. I work in business development. I have to network, I have to accept all invites from my accounts. Its part of my job. 99.8% of these invites, revolve around alcohol and food. The alcohol I can deal with, although they did know me to enjoy a nice glass of red... it is the food that worries me the most.

So this specific invite is from my largest account. It lists dinner as a 'five course meal, prime rib sit down' GREAT. 

I will be just shy of two months post op at this point. In tiny wee letters on the bottom, I read "special dietary requirements please specify" So I was thinking maybe ask for mashed potatoes and a very soft fish, or maybe chicken, and I could just state I don't eat red meat. I am not sure what I will do with the other four courses, but people at the table will definitely comment on my lack of excitement for delicious food that they have seen and are used to. This will be the challenge. They will likely also be pushing alcohol my way... UGH. I guess these situations are just trial and error. I am sure I will say some wrong things when trying to explain my different way of being.

I know it states by weeks 5-8, I may be able to handle beef, bread, and pretty much most foods, is this really the case? I only have a week to RSVP and put in a special dinner request. Were you able to handle a typical corporate Christmas party dinner at around 7 weeks out? I can't imagine I will be...Any tips?

On another note, I am five days post op, and weighed myself. I weighed 262 on Sept 15th, I now weigh 239. I weighed 247 on surgery day. So that is 8lbs five days post op. And 23lbs in five weeks. I don't really notice any loss yet, but seeing the numbers drop daily is pretty motivating. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/14 8:54 pm

My husband & I went to a wedding in August that was a 7 course meal, and of course it was served one course at a time. But I had a few nibbles of things, and what I didnt eat my husband would. lol... a few asked me "don't you like the food"or "are you feeling ok?" I just came out and told them the truth. I am not ashamed what I chose to do, nor do I care what people think. If they choose to be tight ass's about my decision that is their choice. But honestly everyone I told was very interested, and asked me alot of questions, and gave me alot of compliments. The point of a party or celebration is to enjoy yourself. Eat what you can, and never be ashamed of saving your life to be healthy again. You are doing great, and it only gets better ... 

Patm
on 10/24/14 10:54 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Not having beef might be a good idea. I sometimes find it hard to digest. You really have to chew the **** out of it. Try taking a mouthful of things you  want to eat. Just move the rest around. Hopefully there will be a lot of talking. Also since this is business if you do not wish to mention your surgery just say you are saving your self for the main course and just say you are full and change the subject

Karen M.
on 10/25/14 12:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

I attended a wedding 2 months post-op. I didn't request anything special or refuse any of the courses that were served, just ate tiny amounts of whatever I could eat off the plate. No one commented, people were busy talking, it really wasn't a big deal at all.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/25/14 12:34 am - Windsor, Canada

I agree that the prime rib although delicious might be too hard to digest. Some centres say it's not on the diet until 6 months because of that and well, prime rib is also a fattier meat.  The last thing you want to do is get sick at a social event.  I think the chicken/fish thing sounds like a good idea.  

Focus on the company and you'll have a great time! 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/14 9:27 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thank you for the tips! I think I will request the chicken, just to be safe, because yes, the last thing I want is to be ill at a business function. You all eased my mind a bit, in thinking maybe i don't need to panic at all, and it will be fine! 

Thank you!

NorthernStar
on 10/26/14 5:21 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Don't make a big deal out of it and others won't either. Take the food, cut it up, pu**** around on your plate and then put your napkin on top so it covers up the fact that your plate is still full. Take a nibble at what you can (like chicken/fish) and leave the rest.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

cspotrun
on 10/26/14 9:46 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I've noticed that if I keep my fork in my hand and take a bite once in a while people don't notice so much. And if someone does I just say that I'm trying to eat healthier and less. It usually sparks some conversation about their own diet needs. I was able to eat steak at 7 weeks out, but I realize that's not true for everyone. Good luck!

Karen   

Mary A.
on 10/29/14 2:10 am

Whatever you do, DON'T try out something new at the 5 course dinner, you could be in a whole heap of trouble and you wouldn't want something to happen during the latter part of your event.

Yes most definatly fill out the "special dietary requirements" there are all kinds of reason people can't eat prime rib etc etc..and that's why that is provided, so make use of it.

I couldn't imagine doing a corporate dinner at 7 weeks.  I tried a few bites of meatloaf with gravy to help it slide down..well it didn't and luckily no one was around.'

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active