Last Meal Syndrome

kkisqueen2002
on 10/6/14 8:23 am

wow that sounds great as to your weight loss and maintained. im like you i see the other side, yes i said goodbye to some of my favorite things but i rather have a healthier me than a life of misery. my surgery is next week so im now in the preparing stage.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/14 2:51 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hey kkisqueen, good luck on your surgery!! Sending well wishes your way.

kkisqueen2002
on 10/7/14 9:12 am

thanks maybe we can chat sometime. 

kkisqueen2002
on 10/7/14 9:15 am

thanks maybe we can chat sometime

Blueiiis
on 10/6/14 8:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

There is nothing wrong with having a food funeral or a last supper(s). It does not mean that those who do it are any less ready for surgery than those who don't. 

Karen M.
on 10/6/14 8:32 am - Mississauga, Canada

Your opinion. Let's support and praise Jennifer for doing what she felt was right.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/14 2:47 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hey Blue, totally! I don't think I did say that...Everyone is different, This is just how i felt, trust me, I sat and thought about my last meal' I had big plans for it, but when it came time to do it, I just didn't care anymore.

:)

poet_kelly
on 10/7/14 9:17 am - OH

I think it's really important to remember that after your WLS, while you will definitely be on a pretty limited diet for a while, you will eventually be able to eat most foods if you choose to, in small amounts.  There isn't much you will have to say goodbye to forever.  You might choose to give up some foods, but you will be able to eat all sorts of stuff - and don't forget there are all kinds of yummy healthy things you can have after surgery, too!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 7:17 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks Kelly for that reminder! Right now, on day 5 of opti, it was required to see the light at the end of this tunnel. I do know, I will be back to a normal way of life, eventually, only a healthier version of that. I even spoke to the dietician about eliminating complex carbs (well the white ones anyway)  from my diet, and she stopped me right away, and said "Jennifer, please, don't get into this way of thinking. Of trying to decide what you need to eliminate, this isn't a diet. Don't deny yourself an entire group of food. Everything in moderation" and I sat back after, and thought, she's right. For the first time ever, i am going to do this the right way' be healthy, and still enjoy food.

I am positive I am going to become a protein shake girl for life. I have already compiled numerous recipes to give a go' 

Thanks again for the reminder.

Holli R.
on 10/10/14 10:07 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 09/16/14

I too found that as the days got closer to surgery, food had less and less interest for me.  I found that really surprising, as I had fully expected I would want to load up on the bad stuff until the last possible moment.

That said, I decided to treat my last meal as a special occasion and had a very nice dinner out with my husband and my mom.  We went to a nearby farm-to-table restaurant and had what turned out to be a fairly healthy and really fun meal.  We ordered a plate of house-cured meats as an appetizer, and when it arrived I suddenly realized that this surgery wouldn't be about giving up the things I love - it would be about trading overly large portions of massively unhealthy junk food made from questionable ingredients for small portions of delicious, high-quality real foods, something that I have wanted to do for a long time but could never do for long due to my fast-food cravings and my seemingly bottomless stomach.

Jennifer, it's so great that you're excited and ready for what your future holds.  I'm excited for you too.  Seems like you're off to a great start.

Height: 5'0"  HW: 289  SW: 279  

Next Goal: under 250 lbs

Most Active