Value Village is my best Friend

chipmunk_roasting
on 10/6/14 2:42 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Absolutely, my best friend, too.

It can sometimes take some looking, and it's helpful, if you have something specific in mind, to go a couple of times a week (or *cough* daily). 

In the first year post op, I donated as much as I bought.  If you make a mistake on an item, it isn't a huge financial hit to re-donate it on the next trip.

Every time I took clothes in, I remembered what it was like to not be able to find XXX clothes, and how happy I was to find a gem in that size.  It makes the giving warm the heart.

About four months post op, I purchased a set of 50 those wonderful covered hangers from Costco.  I got rid of every ugly plastic hanger I had, and made a decision that my wardrobe would be 50 items or less.  Good quality, things that made me feel good, and that if I had more clothes than would fit on the 50 hangers, something had to leave.  (I made an exception for coats, because...well...I bought *3* at Value Village on the weekend.  A gorgeous vintage Persian lamb coat, and two lovely, soft, leather coats from Spain -- c'mon, that's a rule breaker right there!)   And I feel like a million bucks in my $35 leather jacket, which, according to Google/eBay, retailed for++$1,000.

I can't believe I now Google clothing items *in* store.  I had to take what fit, for so many years and now I buy what looks good.  If it doesn't make me smile and say "oh yeah", it doesn't come home with me. 

You're looking good, sir!

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

tg2013
on 10/6/14 3:02 am, edited 10/6/14 3:03 am - Ottawa, Canada

50 Hangers!!!  Wow!  I'm lucky to have 20 articles of clothing including my 5 uniform work shirts and my fall jacket and winter coat. I'm not going to purchase too much at one time seeing I still have weight loss going on. Once I reach the stage where I level out on body weight I will increase my clothing volume. 

Thanks for the complement  I actually posted two new pics today.  One with my grandson last week and one from Yesterday (up in the Gatineau hills outside Ottawa) catching some fall colours

Troy

chipmunk_roasting
on 10/6/14 3:06 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

It surprised me, too.  Pants, sweaters, belts (!) shirts, blazers, shorts, bathing suits, T-shirts, dresses, scarves, it all counts.  *grin*

Good to see you, Troy.  :)

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Karen M.
on 10/6/14 3:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

Well, of course I had to check out your new photos.

VERY HANDSOME SIR.  You are looking great!

Best wishes for continued success!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tg2013
on 10/6/14 3:15 am - Ottawa, Canada

I'm pretty proud of the life style change I did   I used to hate being in front of the camera  but I find myself now asking to be in the picture more than not  Funny how one's confidence changes when one's body changes  (for good or bad)

KerryF.
on 10/6/14 5:38 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

And I have returned everything back to Value Village as soon as it's too big for me. Pretty much I've dropped a bag to them each time I go in and shop........

Renting from Value Village  that's all I've been doing

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Mary A.
on 10/8/14 5:39 am

oh I can't agree with you more, the only thing I don't at VV are swimsuits

I just had my pannilectomy a month ago and I am eager to go shopping there for some smaller jeans. when they remove 6.4 lbs of fat from your midriff you can't wait to see what might fit that didn't before.

and YES you can find some real treasures there if you take the time to look

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Frankie82
on 10/8/14 7:09 am
RNY on 08/07/14

Horrible confession time! I love thrift store shopping (that’s not the confession lol) but now, I look for the “good” brands, in addition to what I like/fits. When I undergrow those clothes, I take them to a consignment store that will pay you out in cash, and then I take that cash and go back to the thrift stores. Between selling my old stuff on Facebook groups and the consignment store, I’ve been able to refill my closet twice, and I’m only down about $50.

Most Active