Value Village is my best Friend

tg2013
on 10/5/14 10:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Like everyone  Buying new clothes can be very expensive. Buying new clothes every couple of weeks because of the weight loss post surgery Can place one in the poor house .

To be honest with you I never ventured into a store like Value Village or The Salvation Army before my surgery. I was more than happy to purchase my clothing at stores that sold Big and tall items or I shopped on EBay. 

Once I had my surgery and the pounds started to melt away  I was going through clothes like crazy. I went down in waist size every other week  shirt sizes at least once a month. I can't afford to buy new clothing every other week and only wear them once or twice. The solution was the huge value Village store down the road from my house. I was shy to go into the store at the beginning . The sights and the smell of the clothing  just threw me. However I went to the rack with golf shirts  I found shirts that fit from $2.99 to 12.99  Some brand new  tags still on. I was able to pick up jeans in my newest waist size for $5.99 to $9.99 . It's been a year since my surgery and I need a winter coat . Down to Value Village and I found a nice Columbian ski jacket for $14.99    You can't beat that !!  I must say Value Village no longer a stigma  it is a life saver and a money saving adventure  

Take it from me  Stores like this can become your best friend

troy

Karen M.
on 10/5/14 11:00 pm, edited 10/5/14 11:08 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You are preaching to the choir, Troy - VV, GoodWill, and another large assortment of thrift shops pretty much create my (and many other women on this board) wardrobe. Being so far out I occasionally shop at fancy full priced stores when I want/need (haha) something specifically, but a great deal of my clothing is thrifty. Wonderful deals to be found!

Forgot to add: Salvation Army and Talize!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Lolabug
on 10/6/14 3:19 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Love the Dundas/Dixie area for that. All four in one place. Talize is exceptionally well organized there too.

Onward and
Downward

on 10/6/14 5:17 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

And one of the best parts is that the clothes I find are often a bit unusual. I have a number of tops I've gotten at thrift shops that are so interesting and that I didn't remember seeing in stores. And for $3-5 each! Can't beat that.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Catw
on 10/5/14 11:03 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I truely agree, when you change clothes so much, it's the best option.  And the quality of clothes can be amazing at Value Village.  Or any Thrift Shop.  My son is in a difficult size to find, but in one trip, I found him 3 pairs of pants that fit, and found my Mom (a larger woman) 5 pair of pants that fit her.  Next time, I may not find anything.  Some find garbage, some find gold.

Cathy

sellarsgal
on 10/6/14 12:34 am - Oshawa, Canada

I was just there yesterday! I bought 2 really nice sweaters and a pair of cords, they looked brand new! All cost $24. It is worth going there to save money, and I liked that everything is organized by size. 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

TES
on 10/6/14 12:35 am - Ottawa, Canada

You're lucky!  My trips to VV are usually exercises in frustration.  I can never find my sizes.  I usually end up going home empty handed or with pants that are 6 inches to short and a size too small or too big.  ARGH!!!!  (Once I get down to a size 20/22 I'm going to have an awesome wardrobe ...).

I don't live near a VV, so I only get to go when one of my friends are willing to drive me.  I've been shopping at Walmart mostly since they do have some cheap-ish stuff that gets me through from size drop to size drop.

Enjoy your shopping wins :)  I'll try not to be envious.

TES

Karen M.
on 10/6/14 12:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

Since you are so tall, I'm not surprised! I have the exact opposite problem :/

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tg2013
on 10/6/14 12:50 am - Ottawa, Canada

I also go to the Salvation Army store. It's not as big or as organized but they do have clothes to check out.  I find for men there is no consignment stores and not many mom and pop second hand stores to go to. I guess living in Ottawa and having the ability to drive around I can "hit" the V.V. and Sally Ann's  not just in my area but elsewhere.

Before the surgery when I used to wear 4xl shirts I found the selection for men's clothing pretty well  Hawaiian style pattern shirts or really ugly stripped golf shirts  Now that I wear a xl shirt the choice selection is a lot better.  You'll get there Tes   keep going

Troy 

Onward and
Downward

on 10/6/14 5:19 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I found the same thing before getting down into the "regular" sizes. I hated thrift stores because I could never find anything and left feeling like crap about myself. Now, it's a pleasure! It will get better, I promise!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active