Sick and scared

1HealthyMomma
on 10/5/14 9:32 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

So I am on day 6 of Optifast and now I am sick. There is 9 days till surgery and I have been so scared that something would happen to cancel my surgery, and now I seem to have a cold. I am really hoping that it will pass and my body will fight it off fast. I am getting all 4 shake in daily. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a surgery being canceled because of a cold. I was also wondering if I should be taking vitamins on optifast? I haven't been because I thought the Optifast had everything I needed in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Karen M.
on 10/5/14 9:44 am - Mississauga, Canada

A common cold should not prevent your surgery in any way. What would stop it would be a chest infection (aka bronchitis or the like). Drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest.

Sorry, don't know about the vitamins, too many years past my surgery to know what the current practices are.

Hope you feel better really soon, Lisa!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

1HealthyMomma
on 10/5/14 9:58 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Thanks so much for replying and for you kind words. Makes me feel a lot better I am going to make it an early night had some chicken broth for dinner it was warm and so yummy.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

EllenMW
on 10/5/14 10:25 am

I started all vitamins fibre etc. one month before i started my Optifast... I do believe it has helped me ward off any colds as I work in retail and am around people and handling money every day.  I am on my last day of Opti tomorrow surgery on Tues!!... It will definately not hurt taking the vitamins..the nurse at my Patts told me it was a very good idea!! the OPti has the nutrients we need...thats for sure..I also take xtra vitamin C!  GOod luck feel better quick!!! and you can take Tylenol Cold and Sinus if needed!

crqvingchange
on 10/5/14 11:17 am

Sorry you are going through this, I had almost the same thing before my surgery, apparently it is common.  I drank a lot of chicken broth, more than my centre allowed per day, it was homemade and very low in salt.  I used zinc lozenges, vitamin C tabs and used a neti pot 2-3 times a day.  That seemed to stop it from going into my lungs, or maybe that was coincidence.  Mine started on a Friday and my surgery was the following Thursday.  I decided I would do all I could and not call my centre until at least the Tuesday before surgery if I wasn't any better.  I waited a year and a half and didn't want any delays with the surgery. Good luck.

Catw
on 10/5/14 11:30 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Before you start vitimins, check with your clinic.  I can't remember if you're allowed Vit C on opti or not.  Would rather you be sure.  As for the cold, use vicks.  Put it on your chest and back (and some say feet, then put socks on in bed) at night.  While calling your clinic, as them what you can take for the cold.  You might be able to take a SF cough syrop.  My Mom would have a really hard time if she got a chest cold, so she does that for colds and it never goes further.

That and lot of fluids, and chicken broth will help too.

Cathy

Most Active