Does OHIP help with the cost after post pregnancy and weight loss?

linds
on 9/11/14 1:54 am

I had a baby 8 months ago with an unplanned cesarean, and have had many issues with healing. It took over 4 months for the incision to close and now i get rashes.

Everytime i work out, i get rashes.. like a yeast infection at the incision site.

I am obese, and am trying to work on that, but it's very discouraging having this happen. I try to keep everything dry and clean, but it doesn't seem to help all the time.

I do have excess stomach hang and would love to lose 80 to 100 pounds.

Is there anything i can do to help with the burning rashes?

I do use clotrimazole cream when the area becomes bothered, and it works well, but I seem to go through quite and bit of it, and it also leaves an unpleasant odor.

Would ohip eventually help with the cost of a tummy tuck or something with the issues I've been having and if i lost weight?

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much! 

Catw
on 9/11/14 4:13 am - Arnprior, Canada

Some temporary measures for help with the rashes is to try to keep the area dry and try deoderant in that area after the rash clears up to prevent further rashes.

From what I know, right now OHIP will pay for a panniculectomy (removal of excess skin) if there is medical reason.  A penniculectomy just removes excess skin, it is not a full tummy tuck.  There is no tightnening of the muscles etc.  Medical reasons include medically documented rashes.  Full tummy tucks are not paid for by OHIP, but if you are approved for a panni, most places will let you upgrade for the difference in price.

The surgeon may suggest waiting until you have lost the weight and kept it off for a period of time before they'll apply to OHIP.  When they apply, if you feel that you should be getting it, you can appeal the decision.

Cathy

dawn4511
on 9/11/14 7:15 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
I use diaper cream that stuff is amazing for under tummy rashes.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

kimber291
on 9/11/14 10:48 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

You have to have lost a substantial amount of weight and maintain that loss for at least 6 months, plus have a medical reason for the surgery as far as I know.  

Try corn starch as well,  to keep it dry. Nothing with perfumes either as it will irritate the site.

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Most Active