I hate exercise

MickATL
on 9/10/14 6:57 am - Tucker, GA

Great job getting out and walking Tes! Most of us have never enjoyed exercise. That's one of the reasons we've carried excess weight for an extended period of time. For me, decades! Living in Atlanta, GA, we have very hot & humid summers and cold winters although not as cold as Canadians have it. That's one reason I purchased a recumbent exercise bike. I put it in my living room in front of the TV and made a promise to myself-- I'll do what I can every day and before I sit on the sofa and watch TV, I'll sit on that bike and pedal while I do. I started at 10 minutes a day everyday. Our legs are designed to carry us everyday. Walking and biking are not like lifting weights where you create micro-tears in your muscles that must recover the next day. We are toning our muscles. The leg muscles carry the bulk of your weight and, as you lose weight, they get the biggest break because they don't have to carry that extra 10, 20, etc. pounds. Try walking around the grocery store with a 10 lb sack of potatoes for a while and you'll understand how weight loss dramatically changes the effort required by your legs to carry you around. Daily exercise is one way to make sure the muscles in our legs don't whither. 

If your muscles are sore, you probably did too much- either time, distance or speed. I started with 10 minutes a day for 2 weeks and increased to 15 minutes for 2 more weeks. I tried for 20 and my legs hurt so I went back to 15. My point... this is a lifelong journey and we have to pace ourselves. If I had to drive to a gym to exercise, I'd never go- it's raining, it's cold, I don't like changing in front of other people, etc. etc. etc. So I do it at home. Some say it feels like they aren't going anywhere but I enjoy it. I have a basement and have slowly made it my gym. I have an exercise bike, treadmill and a few other "toys". I bought most on Craigslist used because I wasn't sure which ones I'd stick with. 

There is a saying "Attitude determines altitude" and I believe it. When we are desperate enough to allow someone to cut us open and alter our anatomy, we should be willing to do our part-- measure our portions, plan healthy meals, drink lots of water and add exercise slowly into our daily routines. If we approach this part 1/2 way, we won't see the results we want to see and can only blame ourselves.

As a lapband post op (7 years), I've struggle the last 4 years with making sensible eating decisions, exercising daily and have reaped what I've sown- gained weight, became sedentary and began to loathe myself again. Coming to terms with the decisions I make everyday that either help me reach my goals or hinder me, has helped me be honest with myself and make changes. Getting back to the basics, I've lost 55 lbs over the last 3 1/2 months. One of the most important pieces to my success IMO is daily cardio. I believe it gets your heart rate up and you burn more calories throughout the day. As you do this regularly and longer, you burn more and more which is the basis of increasing your metabolism.

I really commend you on being brutally honest about your disdain for exercise! I am not going to tell you how wonderful it feels or how happy I am to do it. Sometimes, it takes all the energy I have to go downstairs and get on that bike! But I do. And often I feel very accomplished when I'm done. 

Someone told me- "10 minutes are better than NO minutes". Get up, get dressed, get out and get walking. 10 minutes are better than none. Slowly build up the time, speed or distance. This is not a marathon. By the end of a year, I PROMISE you you'll be a different woman!

Mick in Atlanta, GA
Banded 6-18-07
sw 324 & 56"w / cw 214 & 38"w

TES
on 9/10/14 9:34 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thank you Mick ... your words are very much appreciated. :)  I am slowly learning that the effort is worth it.  Congratulations on all you've accomplished, you are truly an inspiration.  

And I did 20 minutes tonight ... got off my bus 10 stops early and walked the rest of the way home (carrying 3 bags of groceries - it wasn't the smartest move but the bus was packed and it seemed like a good idea at time time).

Again, thank you.  :)

TES

new_me180
on 9/10/14 7:18 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Hi Tes

I used to be just like you. Hated being sweaty and the thought of exercising made me cringe. I don't know what changed but, after surgery everything just turned around for me. I love the gym now and i have restricted myself to four days a week because i was becoming a gym rat. I didn't start exercising until 3 months post op and i haven't looked back since. I'm surprised at how much i like it now and seeing the scale go down is extra motivation for me. I take different classes at the Y as i also get bored with just the treadmill and such. Once you get going, you'll be surprised at how much you like it.

good luck

Nia

TES
on 9/10/14 9:43 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Nia!  I am enjoying being more active and I'm trying to teach myself that exercise isn't a dirty word.  It helps to hear that others have been here and have found a level of enjoyment with exercise.

I appreciate your encouragement!

TES

Delicious_Delilah
on 9/10/14 1:23 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I completely understand where you're coming from!  I expect many of us can relate. Didn't like being hot and sweaty, and it hurt to walk, forget about any type of other exercise. But now, I walk because I can. And like Karen, I find a reason...a goal (ie to get somewhere specific).   

Have you tried swimming as that helps with the hot and sweaty thing?!  That's where I started. I've gradually added all sorts if activities, especially as the weight has come off. 

I work with a personal trainer on weight training. I started cardio slowly, first the recumbent bike, graduated to the elliptical trainer, and now I run.  I also found a passion: kickboxing. Great cardio and strength components. That I started after I lost maybe two-thirds of my excess weight.  

You don't have to do all of these things, but you will find it gets a lot easier as the weight disappears. And it's amazing how fast you can build up your cardio. It won't happen overnight, but you can get great results by continually building.  My rule on the cardio equipment was to always do a little bit more than the previous session, even if it was adding in only one extra minute. It was about continual improvement and pushing myself each time. As for boredom during cardio, I hear you!  My iPod is a blessing...even audio books would be good, though I usually stick with music!

Good luck and keep at it!  And congrats on the running room program. Who knows, you might even really like it!

DD

Most Active