I hate exercise

TES
on 9/10/14 3:39 am - Ottawa, Canada

I know I shouldn't - but I do.  HATE IT.  However, I've been forcing myself to get out walking a few times a week and it's getting easier and easier (I don't like it any better, but I'm doing it).  I have no one to walk with, so I get bored so quickly - even with great music.  I have a bike but I'm TOTALLY TERRIFIED of cycling on the street.  I live in Centretown in Ottawa and the streets are narrow and crowded and the traffic is always bad.  So for now, the bike is parked until I can figure out how to get to the bike paths without actually cycling on the streets.

Last week, I did something I really can't believe *I* did.  The "allergic to exercise" gal has signed up for the fall/winter session of Fitness Walking with the Running Room.  This is akin to Sheldon Cooper deciding not to sit in "his spot".  It just doesn't happen.  At first I though "Nope, not spending $80 to be dragged all over god's green earth and hate every minute of it."  Then I thought about it.  I thought about how much better I've been feeling.  I thought about how spending $80 a week on junk food and fatty meals out was done without a second thought a few months ago.  Then I realized that I needed to do this.  I needed to prove to myself (and truth be told, more than 1 or 2 other people) that I CAN and WILL lose this weight and will do what needs to be done.  As more than 1 person has said; surgery is just the first step.

So, come the end of October, I shall (crankily) be out walking with a bunch of other (probably cranky) people, sweating and making my muscles ache.  And gawd damn it  - I'm going to kick arse and take no prisoners.

But I'm still going to whine about it.  ;)

joeyanne
on 9/10/14 4:24 am - Canada

Whine all you want as long as you keep walking.lol

REF Nov 28/13. INFO Mar 10/14. SOHI Apr 11/14. R.N,DIETITIAN and DR GLAZIER Jun 23/14. SW Jul 17/14. SOHI Jul 25/14. SURGERY Oct 10/14

libra1
on 9/10/14 5:12 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Yay you!!!

Patm
on 9/10/14 5:16 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

YOu might find you will actually like it. Having other people to walk with might help the boredom. Good luck

Monica M.
on 9/10/14 5:26 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

why do you hate exercise?

TES
on 9/10/14 5:47 am - Ottawa, Canada

I dislike being hot and sweaty.  I sweat a LOT and I just can't stand the feeling.

Also, I get bored very quickly.  I haven't found anything that alleviates that.

And to be honest - I don't like hurting.  To me exercise has always equaled pain.  Of course that has been lessening as the weight comes off.

Karen M.
on 9/10/14 6:16 am - Mississauga, Canada

TES, I also pretty much hate exercise. Not really HATE, but I think I just haven't found something to be passionate about. I too get bored. I know many (most) people enjoy walking as exercise, and it truly is great for you, but I get bored with it. Know how I get around it (question mark if my fèing laptop would let me use punctuation!) is I walk with a goal - TO somewhere, FROM somewhere, etc. I walk TO the grocery store to pick something up, I walk FROM the grocery store cuz I want to go home, I walk TO Tims to get a coffee..... etc etc etc. It helps! Now with my Misfit on my wrist I challenge myself to see how much I can increase the intensity and speed to get a pretty trophy on my iPhone from Misfit. LOL

I am kinda pathetic, I know. But it works for me. And I can walk for miles and miles... with a purpose.

Karen :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

TES
on 9/10/14 9:37 am - Ottawa, Canada

Okay Lady, you need to move to Ottawa to become my personal motivator.  THe pay sucks, but I promise I'm pretty entertaining. ;)

I've been thinking about getting one of the FitBit or other toy to help me track, once the finances allow.  They sound like a useful tool.

Thank you for always being inspiring :)

TES

NewMe2.0
on 9/10/14 6:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi Tes,

I am actually the opposite of you ( well I use to be-- I used to love exercise, the tougher, the harder the more I enjoyed it****il I broke my back in 3 places.  I now am unable to do any formal type of exercise..the internist at my clinic actually did NOT recommend me to have wls as he felt I couldn't be active enough to be successful (but my surgeon fought on my behalf, and well, almost 4 months later am down 78lbs)..Anyway, a friend bought me a fitbit, and it turns out just by doing my daily activities that I would log in almost 2 miles!  So now it becomes like a game, to try and get at least 5,000 steps a day (very low in comparison to most people, but good for me..)..and I will find myself going to walmart or homesense and walk around it (I use a cart for support), to up my steps! 

Good luck with the walking program!

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

TES
on 9/10/14 9:40 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks so much Vicky.  You've been through a hell of a lot.  78 lbs is amazing! As I mentioned to Karen, I've been thinking about a FitBit and will probably look for one once the finances allow.  

Best of luck with your journey and thank you for your encouragement.

TES

Most Active