Met with a personal trainer tonight! (long post)

Crystal82
on 9/11/14 12:02 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

So I did it! I met with a personal trainer tonight for the first time. I need to kick my fitness and progress to the next level. Although I'm not at my "goal" weight I'm down to a size 10 pants and medium (I want to maybe get to a size 8). He truly made me feel great about myself and how far I have come. He did all the usual trainer things measurements and calculations. I don't know what everything meant (it was overwhelming) but what I do remember was a 21.4% number which he explained was what is considered healthy (under 25%). I also remember he said I have 36 lbs of fat which he explained to me as something  we need to have on our bodies and as we work and tone that number will drop but unless I want to compete it's not realistic to have no body fat. 

He wants me to see if I can set up a time for him and my surgeon to speak about my nutritional limitations and requirements any physical limitations etc. He wants to be informed of everything. 

He says at this point I shouldn't concentrate on the scale i should really be concentrating  on what I see physically and how i feel (easier said then done lol).

I have to decide what i want the end result to be for me. I just want to be fit and healthy and feel good in my skin. 

He reiterated what I was already thinking and that was that I can't be burning as many calories as I am and eating as little food as I am or I am going to start burning muscle and that's not what I want to do. But he also understood that I can't eat crazy amounts of food like weightlifters can. Hence the call with the surgeon. We wants to find the healthy middle ground. He again said I have gotten myself to a good spot and a great spot to begin targeting and training to get the body I want and deserve. 

What I want to ask all of you is...who has got to a good point in their journey and turned to contouring and shaping with a trainer and reached their ideal body image? Will this work? Can we as wls patients archive this lifestyle? It's a big financial investment in me and my future and I just need some guidance. 

Crystal

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Laurie C.
on 9/12/14 2:21 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey Crystal:

Congratulations.  I think it takes a lot of great self esteem and confidence to contact a personal trainer.  Bet you didn't have that at your starting weight.  I would have liked to do that also but age and stage have stopped me (not a cop-out).  I can walk and do water exercise and swimming.

Enjoy your abilities, give everything your "best shot" and succeed.  I have a really good feeling for you.  In my opinion, as long as you are not robbing your family of food, utility or rent money, you have every right to "invest" in yourself.

Go for it.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

NorthernStar
on 9/12/14 5:37 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

It kind of sounds like you're thinking about competing in fitness/figure, or at least starting that type of training regimen. I don't personally know any WLS patients who have done this but I don't see why you can't go after it. You can lose fat and gain muscle like anyone else (with a few caveats). I have always integrated some basic bodybuilding principles into my weight loss, including eating lots of protein, weightlifting and doing HIIT cardio. There's something there we all can learn even if that body type is not what you're targeting. I have thought about kicking this up too now that I go to a more bodybuilding gym. Good luck to you!!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Crystal82
on 9/12/14 5:55 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

Thanks ladies for the responses!

Definitely lots to think about and I'm not even sure what I want my end result to be other than I want to be healthy, fit and happy for my family and to never be overweight again! 20 years was long enough and I just want to make good use of the gift I have been given. 

Crystal

Surgery January 6, 2014!

crqvingchange
on 9/12/14 6:58 am

Your trainer sounds amazing, to want to meet with your surgeon, and come up with a plan that's best for you, I have never heard of such commitment.  I think it's going to be a work in progress following the trainer's advice, that of your centre, but most importantly, your own mind in knowing what is working and how you want to adjust your program.  Good luck, I think you will do wonderfully.

Crystal82
on 9/12/14 8:50 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

Well figured out how I can financially swing the personal trainer....went out tonight and got a second job (part time - Friday and Saturday nights) bartending. My weeks will be long, between my full time Mon to friday job as a law clerk + gym and training and now a part time job bartending but I was raised that if you want something you have to work for it! I'm excited!

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Mcconnl3
on 9/12/14 10:40 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

Congratulations on getting a trainer.  I used a trainer for about 18 months and I loved it.  I thought I could lose the weight by exercising.   It was hard work and I got in really good shape, but I only lost about 40 lbs ( I was 80 overweight).  They told me not to worry about the scale and I tried not to.  I felt really good and I got really strong.  I couldn't afford to continue after 18 months and am in worse shape now.  

My advice is to follow your surgeons advice on eating and let your trainer work around that. Your shape will change and you will feel amazing!   Have your trainer write out your workout routines and keep a copy for yourself. That way you can duplicate the workouts down the road when you aren't using the trainer anymore.

I wish I could afford a trainer again.  It was a wonderful experience. 

Most Active