What are you eating/doing today (Wednesday)

crqvingchange
on 9/10/14 3:29 am

So sorry about your Mum Karen, wishing her all the best with surgery.

Karen M.
on 9/10/14 3:32 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks. All is well for now, they are thinking a pacemaker would solve the current issue, which will happen on Friday. Relief! :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Onward and
Downward

on 9/9/14 9:30 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Hey Barb - school! That sounds great! I love taking courses. I'm doing three TDSB continuing ed courses this semester - two computer courses on Saturdays (which hubby is taking with me - nice to share the same interests), and one bike repair course on Mondays. They both start this coming Saturday and Monday, so I'm looking forward to them too.

So, WW has this new thing now that they call "simple start" where you just eat their power foods in portions that fill you up. I wasn't doing that last week during my first week on WW because I thought, forget it, I'm here to track my food. But now that this RH thing is rearing its ugly head (and I managed to trigger another episode yesterday too, complete with blood sugar at 2.1), I'm thinking maybe their "simply filling" technique where you stick to their "power foods" and count up to 49 extra points from non-power foods per week might be better for me, because then I'll be sticking to food that likely won't trigger the RH. So, still tweaking and trying to figure out whether this WW thing will work for me post-op, or if I just need to figure out my food for myself, as I have been since surgery.

Looking forward to Toronto East Enders Coffee Night tonight. (If you're interested in coming out, see the info in my signature line.)

1 YEAR, 10 MONTHS POST-RNY

B - Fried egg on 1 slice of whole grain toast

S - Edamame beans, 1 apple (fruit still doesn't seem to trigger the RH thing, thank goodness)

L - Open faced salmon sandwich on 1 slice P28 bread, 1 peach

S - 1/2 cup ricotta/vanilla/splenda with 1/2 cup wild blueberries (the last of them until I get more!)

D - Not sure yet. Should try to eat at home and just have tea at The Friendly Greek. Just have to figure out what to make.

S - Perhaps a skim milk cappuccino. 

Have a great day, everyone!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Karen M.
on 9/9/14 10:03 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Interesting re. the new WW plan - I can see how that could work for a lot of people. Without giving away "WW trade secrets", could you give me an idea of what they consider their "power foods"?

And thank you, we'll see what the surgeon says once she meets him/her today. :)

Karen

Onward and
Downward

on 9/10/14 12:03 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Hey Karen. I don't think it's a big secret what their power foods are. In fact, I just googled and found this PDF right from the WW site, and they appear to have it open to anyone who wants to download it.

http://www.weigh****chers.com/images/1033/dynamic/GCMSImages /Food_List.pdf

Hopefully this is helpful!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Karen M.
on 9/10/14 3:33 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thank you!

Karen

crqvingchange
on 9/10/14 3:27 am

Oh my goodness, 2.1 is scary low for blood sugar, and at a point where you could pass out.  As your strips are paid for, it might be a good idea to check you blood more frequently in the beginning to see if it is heading downward.  Check an hour and two hours postprandial to see if you see a trend.  Also if possible, try to have some protein or small amount of fat with each meal and snack to help stabilize your blood sugar.

Onward and
Downward

on 9/10/14 4:36 am, edited 9/10/14 4:48 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing - testing quite a bit in the last couple of days. And yes, what happened was that I had gone for a nap after eating something that, as it turned out, had too much sugar in it. (And I should have known it too - it was junk, total junk, and I thought I could get away with a little of it. Dumb move. Not used to this yet.)

Woke up two and a half hours later sweating bullets and disoriented, so popped a few Vitamin C tablets (that's what I had handy by my bedside, and I know they have dextrose in them), and then made my way down the stairs to check my blood. That was when it was 2.1. Hunted for something with sugar (found a couple of pieces of licorice - I don't have a lot of pure sugar things in the house), ate them, plus a few nuts and a glass of milk, and was almost instantly better.

As you can imagine, today I am watching my intake like a hawk, and worried about everything I'm putting in my mouth. And testing my blood regularly. I guess I'll get used to the new routine eventually! (BTW, just tested now, two hours after lunch, which is usually when the dips occur - 4.9. Yay!)

TES
on 9/9/14 10:31 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Good morning my lovelies! Hope everyone is having a fabulous Wednesday thus far.  Here's my menu for today:

(9 weeks post op)

BREAKFAST:

Decaf Coffee

Little bit of cream (just can't drink coffee without some cream)

Quest bar (PB & J)

Morning Snack:

2 oz extra lean turkey keilbassa

3 pickled green beans

LUNCH:

3 small spicy turkey meatballs

1 tbsp Blue Menu blue cheese dressing

1 oz low-fat feta cheese

1 ryvita cracker

Afternoon Snack:

1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese

1 tbsp siriacha sauce

DINNER:

1 poached basa fish fillet

few slices of tomato and cukes

Steamed broccoli

Karen M.
on 9/9/14 10:36 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Glad to see you've joined us on the WAYE thread, TES! Your menu looks fabulous - you are doing really well to be eating such a variety of foods early-out.

K.

Karen

Most Active