Post-op Mentality & Work

sabrinastrength
on 9/7/14 10:00 pm - Canada
Happy Monday everyone!

I thought I would put this out to the forum to see other post-op's thoughts on your mental/physical character after 1 year after surgery.

Here is my background story:
I work in a highly stressful, demanding, challenging field and have been in the industry for at least 10 years. Long days, early mornings consistently, high stress/responsibility etc... After surgery, I find that not only does my body deal differently with stress but also my mind and of course physically. I'm 13 months post-op and am increasingly finding it harder to find ways to manage the stresses of my job without totally disconnecting myself from it, which in a way actually gives me more stress. Since surgery I have had many great accomplishments career-wise in this position and am excelling, but now feel tired and bored. It's hard for me to differentiate if it's just fatigue or if I actually am bored of my job. I also have such a high focus on staying healthy and realize I can't work the 12+ hours like I used to and go hours upon hours without eating. Now I'm so focused on maintaining my eating/drinking schedule that it causes me it's own stress trying to incorporate myself into my work schedule. Which is why I am focusing less on work and more on myself.

I have my one year post-op meeting in October with the TWH team and will address it with them, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing and how you are managing this?

The thought that has totally been occupying my mind is actually fining another job in the same field but in a slower paced environment, which is very appealing to me. But I'm not sure if it's the fatigue or the stress driving that thought.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

libra1
on 9/7/14 10:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Interesting post. I'm finding some of the same challenges as you, and I am also at my 1 year mark. It will be interesting to see what TWH says at my appointments (also in Oct.), and if this is a common occurance. Wishing you all the best!

Delicious_Delilah
on 9/8/14 3:08 am - Ottawa, Canada

I think you have to make a decision about what's priority to you.  I am an executive in the federal goverment.  It's a high stress environment.  I could regularly put in 12, 14, or 16 hour days.  In fact, prior to surgery, I often did.

I had my surgery just over two years ago.  At the time, I made a commitment to myself to put my health and well-being as my number one priority.  So now I work balanced days.  I was clear with my bosses, that though I can put in extra time, it will not be an every day occurence.  I can never get everything done in a day anyway!  In order to make sure I do that -- work balanced days, that is -- I have regularly scheduled activities after work, like my personal training at least twice a week.  That's a commitment, so I know for sure that I won't be working late on those nights, plus I have other activities on other nights that mean I go home, and then out to that activity at a regular hour. 

Of course, we all have busy periods, so sometimes I have to re-arrange so that work comes first...as long as it's not a long-term thing, I'm okay with that.

Work and your bosses will steal from you whatever they can.  If you're good at your job, and deliver, I've found that they are willing to give you what you need to stay healthy and happy.  After all, you're no good to work unless you're healthy and happy!  But it is worth a discussion if your management is open to that.

Does that mean I won't be the Deputy Minister of my Department someday because I've set limits...probably, but who wants that job anyway!  Way too stressful.  That being said, i do have a very satisfying job with plenty of responsibility as it is.  And I now have a balanced life.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with putting my health first.

In terms of eating, fluids, etc., I have no issues.  At work, I bring my healthy lunch in, as well as snacks, and make time to eat properly.  Again, it's about making time.  Does it always work?  No.  Sometimes I have to bring my lunch to a meeting, or try to eat a protein bar between meetings.  But for the most part, I try to schedule the eating into my day.  I also tend to carry my water around with me to meetings.  That definitely helps.  Again, it's about find a way that works for you.  My staff also knows that if I don't get my proper nutrition, I get a bit "hangry", so they don't mind if I have a snack during our staff meeting...it makes me a nicer person, and they're all for that!! :) 

Good luck with your own situation.  Each work environment is different, and for me, it has worked out.  I hope it does for you too!

DD

ronshoneygirl23
on 9/10/14 2:19 am

Hi, I am new to the forum and am looking forward to a life changing future. I think that we are here because it was time to change our lives for the better and put ourselves and our health first. I understand your stress with your job and how it effects you. I feel that it is only your body reacting to the stress. I am a nursing supervisor and am responsible for a great deal. I love my job. I like you have given to my career for years but that is part of the problem. We give our employers so much to be successful that we put ourselves second. I am sure that it will only take some small changes to make it all work out. Your employer obviously feels you are competent so maybe having that conversation with them letting them know you are struggling and how you are feeling would give them some information that they could use to help you as well. For many years I didn't say anything to anyone and tried to handle every situation on my own. It may surprise you at what there is out there for support. Best of luck. Hope you are feeling less stressed soon. Take care.

Christy

Onward and
Downward

on 9/10/14 2:40 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I can definitely relate to this. It's funny, since surgery, I've been getting these really great temporary upgrades at work - stuff I didn't really try to get before surgery. And now that I'm getting them - they're stressful, imagine that! LOL.  And like you, I'm now dreaming of a slower pace at work.

I think part of it is that our confidence increases after surgery, and we go out there and try to get all the things we thought we couldn't do before surgery. And then, we get overwhelmed!

Anyhow, just want to say that I get where you're coming from. I often think that it would be better to be back where I was before work-wise, so that I can really concentrate on all the great stuff I want to do outside of work - painting, cycling, classes, all the stuff I never had the energy to do before. Focusing all my energy on work (and then feeling kind of wrecked and stressed after work) seems like such a waste, now that I have the potential to do so many fulfilling things outside of work.

So, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my life too, both at work and outside of it.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

sabrinastrength
on 9/10/14 3:44 am - Canada
Thank you all for the great replies!! It's comforting to know that others can relate and that I'm not completely crazy. I have been thinking a lot about it and trying to narrow down what the feelings are and I think I have to agree with what you all have mentioned. For years in being in this industry I've always given it my priority over myself and my well-being, but now I can't work that same balance anymore, and I don't want to quite frankly. I do want to enjoy all of the great things I've started for myself now that there is that confidence there, it's just finding the right next step.

Thanks for the encouragement

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

Most Active