omega capsules?

Zizzler
on 9/4/14 2:11 pm

I took omega-3 softgels daily before surgery.  A week after surgery I started taking them again by opening the softgel and boy is it disgusting. So I called my centre and asked if it was ok to take it in softgel form.  I got a voicemail back saying it was ok to take pills unless I am having trouble with them.  She said to go back to crushing them if I have any problems.  Does anyone else take softgels after rny?  I thought I read somewhere that they are no good after rny? Here is a link to the exact ones I am taking: http://www.longevityshoppe.com/Omega315061509-Flaxseed-Fish- Borage-Oils-1200mg-9060-Softgels-BONUS-PACK.html

I just want to make sure I do not hurt my pouch - they are rather large.  I took one tonight and so far so good but how does one know if it will absorb? 

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

NorthernStar
on 9/4/14 8:22 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I take fish oil softgels but I didn't start them until about 3 months out from surgery. They are a larger pill but they are pliable and dissolve easily, so they should not hurt your pouch. If you took them without any discomfort so you should be good, plus you got the OK from your centre.

I've heard that you can get liquid fish oil but I've never seen it myself. Maybe it's available in the US?

As far as your asbsorption question, there are no studies that I'm aware of that look at RNY malabsorption in any significant way so it's really hard to answer. Much of your small intestine is still in-tact so you do absorb some nutrients the same way you did before. I still take them for whatever benefit I can still reap from them.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Zizzler
on 9/5/14 11:21 pm

I double-checked with my centre and was told as long as they are going down ok then I am fine to take them whole as soft gels.  I have been investigating liquids and there are some that are flavoured lemon etc., you take a tsp at a time.  The only down side to the big pill is that it sort of sits there and makes me feel full for a good hour after taking it.  I take it before bed so I guess it will be my bedtime snack?! 

Robyn R.
on 9/4/14 10:13 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

GNC sells an amazing line of liquid omegas in a brown bottle. I use it for my son

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Zizzler
on 9/5/14 11:24 pm

I saw those the other day and they look good, although a little pricey.  I am going to see how things go with the capsule for now and then adjust if needed.  What I like about my current ones is that they have borage oil and flax oil too, which is good for my hormones.

vickymarsolais
on 9/22/14 3:06 pm

I bought fish oil gummies at Meijers in the U.S.  They just taste like a gummie candy.

Most Active