Is this all a sign??

All_Risks
on 9/3/14 11:59 pm - Canada

My story...I was diagnosed with Severe Spinal Stenosis and referred to a Neurosurgeon at St. Mikes.  I asked for a referral to the Bariatric Registry.  Referred March 2012.  I was told by my family doctor it could be 6 months to a year before I hear anything because that's how busy it is.  After not hearing anything for 6 months I tried to follow up with the Bariatric Registry at St. Josephs and after several attempts to talk to a live person, I was told I'd have to wait until I hear from my referring physician.  In March 2013 I tried again...thinking something is not right here.  I spoke to someone live again only to be told that not only was I NOT referred but the physician was not registered either which was a mandatory part of the process.  I called the Neurosurgeon's office and explained was I was told...I was pretty much yelled at by the Receptionist saying she DID REFER ME AND SHE HAS CONFIRMATION!  I tried the Bariatric Registry again and they said...ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I asked my family doctor to re-refer me and I was "again" in April 2013.  By October 2013 I still hadn't heard anything so I tried the Registry again only to be told....still no referral.  I went back to my doctor and was told he hadn't sent it yet?????  Finally I received a call from his receptionist saying it was sent to the Registry.  By March 2014...yes, you guessed it....I still hadn't heard anything.  I went straight to my doctors office and lost my mind...the receptionist called the Bariatric Clinic at HRRH while I was there and they passed me the phone...saying you can come to the Orientation on April 7 2014.  So....if you're following along...just over 2 years waiting at this point.  At the Orientation at HRRH we were all told that we would get a call with our list of appointments within 2 to 3 weeks.  By the end of May 2014 I still hadn't heard back regarding my appointments.  I called and the "booking" Nurse said she hasn't received my chart....try later.  The next week...the same answer.  The next week....the same answer.  The next week...the same answer.  Now the end of June...I called HRRH and lost my mind again...I asked to speak to someone else....she said she'd look into it and call me back.  I wasn't holding my breath.  Surprisingly, I received a call back within minutes saying my paperwork was "put in the wrong pile".  I was given the date of June 27 2014 to have my consultation with Dr. Starr.  He told me the reason I went through this for two and a half years is because this is my health I'm dealing with and not any of theirs.  If this was any of their health issues you can be sure they would treat it differently.  So sad.  Not even a sorry from anybody along the way.  As I pulled up for my orientation I realized quickly that this is the Hospital where my father was pronounced dead after having a major heart attack on the side of the Southbound 400 when I was 15 years old.  You'd think with my experience from the start of this process until now that I might look at this as a sign to not have RNY....but I am more determined than ever to overcome this.  I look at my wife and two kids aged 10 and 6 everyday and wish this hadn't taken so long so I can be a better husband and father...the waiting has been so painful.  I have my Internist appointment with Dr. Glazer next Tuesday September 9 2014 at 1:00pm and my three other appointments are scheduled for October 14 2014.  My question is....does anybody have a good guess at how long I might have to wait for a surgery date after meeting the Internist???  Is that when my surgery date gets booked??  Thanks in advance...this forum is beyond helpful.

kimber291
on 9/4/14 1:55 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

After you meet with Dr Glazer and your other 3 appts and are approved by all 4,   you then will have to make an appt to see the surgeon once more and that's when you SHOULD get your date. As long as they are booking at that time. Which I'm sure they will be, I think if they get backlogged there is a delay. 

Good luck in your journey, I hope things speed up from here on out. 

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

All_Risks
on 9/4/14 1:56 am - Canada

Thanks so much Kim....I appreciate that.

hibbyangel
on 9/4/14 1:59 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

it depends on a lot of things. How many tests Dr. Glazer sends you for and supposing you get the "green light" from the other 3 appointments. I am really sad to see how some people get lost in the cracks and sadly their life is hanging in the mist just waiting! For me it was smooth sailing nearly 14 months ago. I saw everyone and was cleared. From start to finish I was 8 months. Others wait longer and some get through quicker. I also had a different surgeon. I know some have better luck being willing to switch surgeons if the assigned one has a long waiting list and they also get in sooner to see the RN, Dietitian, Social Worker if they are willing to split the appointments into multiple days. (I didn't I just waited, I live 2+ hours away and it did not make sense for me) . Do you belong to the Ontario WLS support group on facebook? you might get some more insight there as well. I wish you a speedy adventure into your new life! ~*Brittany*~

All_Risks
on 9/4/14 2:07 am - Canada

I live north of Barrie so it's just over an hour for me but I commute to Vaughan every day so the driving doesn't bother me.  If I was given the choice to do this all quicker...I wouldn't hesitate.  I understand that things "happen" but I'm two and a half years and counting waiting and as you said my life hanging in the mist.  I am not part of that support group but will look in to it.  Thanks so much Brittany!

Hollynik
on 9/4/14 2:05 am - Canada

I'm very sorry to hear that your process so far has not been a good experience.  I recently had surgery at HRRH and it is not the same location as the orientation, it's at the Finch site.  The process is a slow one but it's a great way to get prepared for surgery.  You will not get a surgery date until you have been cleared by all members of the team so not before at least your October appointments and that is only if you go in and don't need any follow-ups with the nurse, dietician or social worker.  I read everything I could in the times leading up to my appointments and went in with lots of knowledge.  I had also started to put into play things that would help after the surgery.  Use this forum to get educated on as much as you possibly can, take advantage of this time to start practising things before your surgery it will be really helpful.  Good luck to you, I hope the rest of your experience is a positive one.

All_Risks
on 9/4/14 2:10 am - Canada

My orientation and my consultation with the Surgeon were both at Finch site.  I believe all of my appointments are.  I have been educating myself and reading as much as I can...so much in fact I'm starting to believe I can do this procedure myself...lol.  Thanks for all the tips and kind wishes.

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/14 2:06 am

Im not sure about the timing, but I just wanted to say your determination and commitment to having this surgery is amazing, many would have given up. Im sure your surgery date will be here before you know it and keep an them. Good Luck and keep us informed!!

All_Risks
on 9/4/14 2:38 am - Canada

Thanks so much...will do.

NorthernStar
on 9/4/14 2:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a hard time getting your referral to the right hands. Is it a sign you shouldn't have surgery? No way. It's just something that happens sometimes. Our health care system has many layers of bureaucracy and this can happen sometimes. The important thing is your referral is in AND your appointments are booked!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active