Optifast Help Needed

Girlhalved
on 8/30/14 12:41 pm - Canada

I'm on day 6 of 21 and things are not going well.  I feel really ill actually.  I'm cold, shaky,  with no energy whatsoever and I don't feel like I can do this.  I have tried extra protein in the form of chicken breast but it doesn't help enough.  This isn't a willpower issue.  Can anyone help?

kimber291
on 8/30/14 1:14 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Maybe you should be placing a call to your clinic. But eating is not a good solution. It's not helping you. I have heard of people being closed back up and refused the surgery if food is found in the stomach. 

I was told by my nurse at Humber that if I got the shakes to take diabetic candy. As it could be hypoglycaemia. I know there isn't any sugar in it but apparently it helps. 

Good luck I hope you feel better

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Girlhalved
on 8/31/14 5:39 am - Canada

Thank you for your help.  I read a lot on this issue on the American forum and noted that they mostly use 2or 3 packets and then a no carb dinner.  I have had real issues choking down the vanilla which is the only thing available right now.  However I think you're right.  I won't eat anymore and I'll call the clinic on Tuesday.  Your quick reply let me know others are out there to help.  It really meant something to me.  Thank you.

LalahRose
on 8/31/14 12:52 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

You could be allergic to the Opti.

I started vomiting it up (sorry!) a few days in and had splitting headaches and the runs. My nutritionist at Toronto Western Hospital recommended that I switch to Boost Diabetic. It wasn't great, either, but I could keep the stuff down and that's the important thing. I found a buyer on Kijiji for the remaining Optifast.

Don't despair - a lot of folks have reactions to Optifast! You are not alone. Drink as much extra water as you can. Hang in there!

Girlhalved
on 8/31/14 5:16 pm - Canada

Thank you so much.  I'm going to call Western on Tuesday.  I hope your post-op is going well.   I'm coping a little better today.  Churchill said "If you're going through hell, keep going!"  It made me smile, I hope you too.  Thanks again for your help.

Patm
on 8/30/14 10:32 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Try to stay on just the opti. Can you also have clear broth? Make sure you are drinking enough between shakes. Sounds like you are detoxing from sugars and carbs.

Contact your centre for suggestions on dealing with your issues

Girlhalved
on 8/31/14 5:33 am - Canada

Thank you for replying.  You are right I have to drink the full 4 packets as well as regular fluids.  Hot broth helped.  Your reply was spot on.  :)

on 8/31/14 3:08 am - Canada

Do you have any other medical issues  Like diabetes or blood pressure? Your sugar could be low. Hang in there you can do this if you get worse call your bariatric clinic.

Girlhalved
on 8/31/14 5:27 am - Canada

Thank you for your support.

Linsie
on 8/31/14 3:51 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I was on opti for 3weeks as well,but I found I had more energy than normal. My clinic (Guelph) only allowed clear broth and SF jello while I was on opti. I felt sick when I had to choke down the vanilla, so luckily my clinic let me exchange all my full boxes of vanilla for chocolate. Are you eating the full4 packs a day? That's important to help for energy too. I know I only did 3aday for a few days because the vanilla was so vile. I was also allowed caffeine free coffee, so I mixed that into the chocolate opti with a little peppermint or almond extract and it was delicious! Good luck, it's hard but worth it:)

Most Active