Was wondering

pegawatt
on 8/28/14 9:52 am - Canada

I'm was informed that I shouldn't be hungry at 5 wks out but I do get hungry is that unusual. Its not all the time but its there and I'm worried.

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/28/14 9:36 pm - Kitchener, Canada

I am curious about this too. I was told at my appointment with the nurse that I won't feel that hunger sensation after surgery. On my way home I was thinking about it and should have asked her to clarify. Is it that we do not feel that stomach hunger, ( gnawing, rumbling, growling sensation) ?

I imagine I am still going to feel that "head hunger"( I think I am hungry) and " mouth hunger" ( I need to chew something) ....

Pegawatt are you feeling stomach hunger? 

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Jiliana2
on 8/28/14 9:54 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I never felt any hunger at all at only 5 weeks out.

Many people on these forums who have indicated they felt "hungry" that early after surgery have learned that instead, they are feeling acid in their new tummies. When a PPI is added to their medications (and making sure it's a PPI that is effective; some are stronger than others), then that sensation of "hunger" disappears immediately. So I would first ask you, are you taking some sort of acid blocker? I had surgery in February, and my surgeon prescribed an acid blocker that is supposed to be the VERY FIRST MEDICATION I take every, single day. This is to protect my stomach, by reducing my acid levels, and thereby ensuring I don't end up with ulcers or internal problems It's this medication that gets rid of that false sensation of "hunger." 

At almost seven months post-op, I don't ever feel TRUE hunger. Not like it was before surgery anyway!

I've had "head hunger" where I say to myself, "OMG, I really wanna eat that!" or "I'm peckish; what can I eat?" and I rummage around for something. That's the psychological side of things that we all have to work on. It's not true hunger though. I don't NEED anything. For those times, I have some go-to protein snacks and I keep them in the house. That really helps.

I've personally never had "mouth hunger" either; when I think, "Oooh, I'd love to chew something!" But I know some others have experienced that.

Check on that PPI. You never know, your hungry feeling might just be acid! Wishing you luck.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

vickymarsolais
on 9/4/14 1:36 pm

I was hungry right from the beginning too but realized I wasn't waiting the 1/2 hour after eating to drink.  It helped when I waited the 1/2 hr. before drinking, but now I'm almost a year out and hungry all the time. 

Most Active