The waiting is so hard

DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 8:35 am

Hi Darlene, thank you for the information! Sounds like your moving right along :)  I have no idea what hospital I will go to. I'm in the Barrie area but I also have a gastric band that needs removal so I'm no sure if that will influence where I go.  

I do understand what you mean about the bypass being a "tool" just like the band.  But the band was not a good choice for me for several reasons. It has slipped twice, been replaced once and I've suffered with severe GERD since the day I had the band put in.  Much of what I'm reading about the life style changes, diet change, exercise etc is very similar to the band and if I did it once I KNOW I can do it again!!

I will star****ching the mail!!

Keep me posted how your doing :)

Hollynik
on 8/27/14 9:36 am - Canada

I'm just newly post op but I wanted to let you know to send an email to the bariatric registry yourself and even though they say they don't return emails they did return an email to me telling me which centre I was referred to.  I could guess and say you are through HRRH but I could be wrong.  You could also call HRRH and see if they have your referral then just ask about orientation, it worked for me I was given an orientation date for 2 days later.  Good Luck in your journey.

4-Jane
on 8/27/14 9:05 am - Canada

I'm not a vet but they may all like to be called the oldies or we could try the wise ones or wise guys.  Sorry I just could not resist and I love my sense of humour.  You will eat again after you surgery just different. I found it helpful reading the what are you eating doing today.

Respectfully Jane
Eireannach_lady
on 8/27/14 11:39 am - Canada
RNY on 12/05/14

Hello, Darlene:

I am 'new-ish' to it all, too. I've been through my orientation ( last October. Was referred in February last year 2013 ) and have jumped through some hoops. Now, I'm waiting on an appointment to see an Internist, whom I have been told will be early this October.

I know some people who've waiting two years from Orientation to surgery, but everyone's different.

Seems like I am going to be about two years, too!

Giddy-Up!!

Dawn

Eireannach_lady
on 8/27/14 11:41 am - Canada
RNY on 12/05/14

Oh,btw, I've been referred to Hamilton.

Wesley T.
on 8/27/14 12:50 pm - Canada

Hi Darlene,

LOL Karen is definately "the Wise one", she is fantastic if you ever have questions as is the board. But I know exactly, oh sooooooo much your feeling of anxiousness, the wait in limbo and frustration. It's not with the clinic as they have their own work, but the feeling as in everyday can be your last meal. I have been finding myself having ice cream with family, or buffets and or seeing mc donalds at the side of the road and thinking to myself... "I will not ever be able to indulge in these foods, the way that I know them now at least, ever again." 

I fill my anxiousness with wanting to rip open a bag of chips and just tuning myself out to a movie or something. Thankfully this has only happened once and broke my 'trance' by recognizing what the heck I was indeed doing. I was eating/am still feeling this way/wanting to eat to stuff down my anxiousness. For wanting to get started head first.... Into the program, to get buzzing through it to start the exercising in a meaningful way, to see the pounds being shed off like butter. Oh god I hate it, I hate this weight. But I stop, I pause take a breather, I know just like I have before loosing significant amounts of weight, and being able to stop sugars for 3 years, limiting carbs, and exercising religiously. I remind myself it will take a while and I have to, oh man I have to it is soooooooo hard, to begin changing my habits. To change my thinking and relationship to my food. This is sounding so Dr. Phil'ish, whom I LOVE by the way. But yeah, I read your post and it had hit me. I had to reply. I wish you so much and more!!! We are in this together!!!!! :0)

DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 1:30 pm

Hi Wesley!  Thank you for your nice response to my post! Oh you hit the nail on the head with so much of what you have said!  I'm the type of person that when I decide I want to do something, I want it yesterday lol.  Not a good way to be with the gastric bypass process. I hear some people saying how fast the process went for them, yet others how long it took.  Wesley, it sounds like your in the "waiting process" also for the surgery?  It is so nice meeting people on here, because it is a scary journey. It would be very hard to do this alone.  Thanks!!

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/27/14 9:58 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Hi Darlene and Wesley and everyone one else ( Nice name Darlene) hehehe

Anyway I have been also struggling with what I heard yesterday from the nutritionist is called " Last super Syndrome"....she recommended some books and one is a work book that I am going to order....it might be of help to some of you as well...

I am not sure we are allowed to share links and such here so I hope I don't disappear lol  and I hope the link works....it is called the "  Food & Feelings workbook" by Karen R. Koenig. You can purchase it from Amazon :) 

http://www.amazon.ca/Food-Feelings-Workbook-Course-Emotional/dp/B00C7ESBSU/ref=sr_1_2/189-9846531-6641652?ie=UTF8&qid=1409226851&sr=8-2&keywords=food+feelings+workbook

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Meggles07
on 8/27/14 11:24 pm - Canada

Another newbie chiming in here -- my referral was sent-in in April and my orientation was in June at Guelph (so yours might be different). I was also worried about the pre-orientation weight gain. When I asked the nurse she said they didn't care because they use my weight from when the nurse at the clinic takes it. I didn't lose any weight between seeing the nurse and the dietitian (about one month later). At that appointment they said I need to start losing weight to show I can follow their plan. My SW warned me then that some of their surgeons won't operate if you don't lose at least some weight. Hope that it helpful :)

DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 11:48 pm

Thanks Meggles!! That really did help me very much!

Now I just have to confirm they have my referral.  :)Good luck with your journey!  I love to keep in touch and see how things are going :)

Most Active