The waiting is so hard

DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 7:01 am

I know I have to be patient. I know it can be a long process.  But I'm finding the waiting to just get my orientation date so hard. I'm not even sure they have my referral from my Dr.  It is a long story.  :( . I find I'm just wanting to eat and eat. It is almost like my last supper every stupid day :(  . I know that there comes a time when they will weigh you and you are not suppose to gain any weight till your next appt to prove your committed. I know that when that happens I "Will Be Committed".  When does that part of the journey start?   

Do the long term bypass members on the forum call themselves anything specific so I know who you are??

Any members in my position, on the waiting bench, hoping each day to get that call??

Thanks everyone for letting me vent a little.

Karen M.
on 8/27/14 7:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'm a long term "bypasser" and I call myself...... Karen? Not sure what you mean, sorry.

I think a lot of your anxiety at this point is because you don't know if they even have your referral. Once you find that out (call the doctor *****ferred you to see if they've heard) I think you'll feel a little more settled.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 8:42 am

Hi Karen, bypasser "Karen" .. the "wise one"  I agree that much of my anxiety is just the waiting for assurance they have my referral since they have lost it once before apparently.

When our Dr puts in our referral he puts down our weight. If by the time we get to Orientation or our first time to be weighed and we have gained weight since our Dr's referral is that an issue?? I know it is not good to gain period, but would it delay in the process?

Karen M.
on 8/27/14 11:19 am - Mississauga, Canada

Please, just call me Karen. LOL

It's my understanding that the weight they seem to base things on is when they weigh you - your Dr's weight gets you into the program, but they weigh you themselves as well. You could confirm that with people currently going through the program though, I'm a wee bit past it. lol

I know it's stressful and waiting truly does suck. Unfortunately, this whole process is "wait". And you'll be so ready when it's your turn. :)

Karen

DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 1:36 pm

Thanks Karen, It is very nice to meet you and I'm sure I will be asking you some questions as time progresses.  I don't want to do anything to prolong my journey once I have my orientation so I know I will have to start with my lifestyle changes at that point.  How long ago did you have your surgery Karen 

Karen M.
on 8/27/14 10:35 pm - Mississauga, Canada

There are so many people *****ad and post on this forum with a wealth of experience to share with you. We are really fortunate that the Ontario board is so active. Read, read and read some more, ask questions, join in conversations - there's a lot to learn about. Many people have their surgery information posted on their I.D. so that you can see the type of surgery they had and when they had it (if you look on the upper right  - my name and photo are on the left, my surgery information is to the right).

The more good habits you can develop now, while you're waiting and going through the process to get surgery, the better. It will make the transition into post-op living much easier. It doesn't happen overnight and it takes a lot of learning and practice. We are lucky that we have this forum full of people going through the same thing to support us, and offer support to. There is also a search function on the forum in the upper right Obesity Help toolbar (little magnifying glass) - click on it, type in key words of your question and you will have instant access to thousands of posts related to your question.

I had RNY surgery March 21, 2006, so 8.5 years ago. My start weight was 290 lbs and I now weigh 120 lbs. I joined the site prior to my surgery in 2006 and was so relieved to find this forum full of people who had been there, done that. I liked it so much, I stuck around.

Welcome!

Karen

Karen

DarleneTay
on 8/28/14 4:10 pm

Thanks so much again Karen for all this information!! I have a lot of research to do as I wait for each step of this process :)

4-Jane
on 8/27/14 8:07 am, edited 8/27/14 8:07 am - Canada

I'm not a vet but they may all like to be called the oldies or we could try the wise ones or wise guys.  Sorry I just could not resist and I love my sense of humour.  You will eat again after your surgery just different. I found it helpful reading the what are you eating doing today post daily

Respectfully Jane
DarleneTay
on 8/27/14 8:38 am

Hi Jane,  lol..yes that is what I meant about people that are long time bypass patients. On some forums they are called "vets". I like the "wise ones"  cute! :)  I've been told many times since I started this process to listen to the "wise one". :)  So I will!!

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/27/14 8:24 am - Kitchener, Canada

I am in the process of waiting as well. I am a little bit ahead of you.  Today I had my second round of appointments with the SW, Nurse and Nutritionist and I only have to see the nutritionist one more time Oct 15... Only because I too have been having what she called " the last super syndrome".....I went away on vacation for two weeks and gained 6 lbs because I kept think . " I will never be able to eat like this again."  I realize though that is not a good thing to do....I am trying really hard to make sure I make lifestyle changes and choices NOW before surgery so I don't fail....the surgery is just a tool....we still need to watch what we eat , measure, count and be mindful... It is hard waiting but I am trying to use this time wisely so I will be that much further ahead when my turn comes....May I ask what hospital you are going through? I am with Guelph and I have had such wonderful experiences with them.. Good luck and I hope you get your call soon...FYI...I didn't get a call...I got a package in the mail !! :) 

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Most Active