Confused about pureed

Hollynik
on 8/22/14 4:37 am - Canada

Hi all, I know it sounds odd to be confused but I am moving on to pureed food over the weekend.  I am through HRRH and had rny, my booklet from the centre is vague to me about ground meats being acceptable or not but I also have Dr. Kleins book, he works out of HRRH and his is very detailed and even includes moist meatloaf during stage 3 (it doesnt say to puree it in a blender either).  So, my question is whether or not ground turkey, chicken or lean beef is acceptable.  I really am tired of cottage cheese and yogurt but don't want to create any problems for myself.  Thanks, Lori

Karen M.
on 8/22/14 4:57 am - Mississauga, Canada

It sounds as though the info from Dr. Klein says it is okay, which I would take as YES ok! I did not have trouble with purees at all, but I have to say that meatloaf was a challenge that I wasn't expecting. If your list says ok, no harm in trying it. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

judyeliz
on 8/22/14 5:53 am
RNY on 04/24/15

Hi Holly, I recently attended an orientation session at HRRH.  The speaker specifically said to follow the nutritional guidelines in the booklet, she handed out, not in the book.  She said things have changed.  I have tried to compare the two, and there are slight differences.  I was thinking it was too bad I bought the book before orientation, but it still does have a lot of great info, and recipes.  I am assuming you are talking about "The Complete Weight-Loss Surgery Guide and Diet Program" by Dr Laz Klein and Sue Ekserci,RD.  The book is still part of the power point presentation, but she said the dietitian no longer works at Humber, and was specific about the nutritional guidelines have changed.  Hope this helps, but a quick call to Nut could confirm, and answer your question.  

Congrats on making it so far!  And continue to be well 

judy

Hollynik
on 8/22/14 6:03 am - Canada

Hi Judy,  I did hear that the nutritional guidelines for the amount of protein our bodies now need had changed but I think that is different then when to add in ground meats although there is protein in them I think it's more of a textural issue I'm looking at.  My orientation was last year and the nutritionist actually recommended we buy the book as it had good information and more detail then information given in the packet that they provide so don't get rid of the book it might come in handy one day.  I have heard that the guidelines just recently changed also so it is new to many post ops and they are finding it out at their 1 month appt. In  your booklet can you tell me what the amount they say for protein to get now?? Thanks, Lori

judyeliz
on 8/22/14 6:43 am
RNY on 04/24/15

Hi Lori, I will try to answer your question.  In the book they have stage 3 broken up into 3 parts, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, each lasting one week, then stage 4 is lifelong foods.  

In the new booklet, stage 3 is called "Pureed or Blended" and lasts 1 week, then stage 4 is "Minced" for 1 week, then stage 5 is called "Soft Sold foods". For stage 3 the booklet says 60 to 80 gms of protein each day, 6-8 cups fluid, food applesauce consistency. Meat and alternatives, pureed meat, chicken or turkey, extra lean ground beef, pureed fish and pureed beans, lentils, other legumes and pureed tofu, and poached eggs, (not pureed I assume-yuk)

Stage 4 "Minced" still says 60 - 80 gm of protein daily. In the Meat and Alternatives group it says, minced meat, chicken or turkey, minced fish, canned water-packed tuna, salmon or sardines, mashed with a fork, low fat chili, poached eggs.

Stage 5 Soft Solid Foods, it has detailed intstructions, but it states, "meet with your dietitan for your 1 month appt before starting this diet phase".

Also, in the general instructions at the beginning of the booklet it states, "your protein needs are high after surgery.  Aim for a minimum of 60 to 80 gms of protein a day.  You may need as much as 100 to 120 gms of protein a day".

So you are right, it is mainly the texture thing, one week of pureed applesauce texture, then one week of minced, all as tolerated I assume.

Hope this helps, and is not just more confusing,

judy

Most Active