Back home & starting pureed foods tomorrow

Zizzler
on 8/22/14 2:35 am, edited 8/22/14 2:37 am

Well I am back home this morning after spending 4 days or so at my father's place. 

Feeling ok, no painkillers needed for the past 2 days, only Tylenol every 4 hours.

Last night I was able to sleep on my side for about 4 hours, so that was wonderful.

Anyone have tips for pureed food?  I will be checking the recipes group for more info as well.

I am thinking of starting with a puree of potato and white kidney beans - its in my meal planner from the hospital.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Karen M.
on 8/22/14 2:51 am, edited 8/22/14 2:52 am - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome home Zizzler! Very glad to hear you're doing okay. Such a relief to get a few good hours of straight sleep, eh?

Beans are great to puree, you can puree some thick soup/stew, chili, a lot more choices now.  And yes, do have a peek at the recipe forum - lots of good ideas there.

Happy healing!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 8/22/14 3:45 am

Thank you Karen, yes it feels good to be home!  Just stepped on the scale and I am down 12lbs since my surgery day weight.  Wow!! I love all beans and just hope they love me back :0).  

Caroline K.
on 8/22/14 3:04 am

Low-fat refried beans with a bit of salsa and shredded cheese, or ricotta cheese with a bit of tomato sauce were my faves during that period. 

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Zizzler
on 8/22/14 3:54 am

Great ideas, thank you.  I really love refried beans!

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/14 3:10 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi Glad all went well and you are home.  I found this stage hard.  Thank god for protein shakes at this stage.  I liked soups - minestrone or lentil blended was good.  If you like eggs scrambled eggs are good.

Good luck.

Kelly

Zizzler
on 8/22/14 3:58 am

Soup is a great idea, I can't eat more than 2 tbsp at a time so want to make them super tasty bites. What did you find difficult about purée?

Zizzler
on 8/22/14 6:04 am

Tried the bean and potato puree and OMG I swear it was the best thing I have ever eaten!!  Actually, nearly everything I try tastes so amazing.  My taste buds are very happy.  I was able to eat 6tbs over 20 minutes and it added 9g or protein to my day too, so now am at 69g protein for the day.  Yay! 

Sassy75
on 8/22/14 9:59 am - North York, Canada

I start purée on Monday.... How did you make the beans and potatoe purée? 

Zizzler
on 8/22/14 11:11 am

Here you go:

- take 3-4 potatoes or sweet potato, peel them and cook them then mash them

- blend until smooth in a blender: half a can of white rinsed drained kidney beans, 1/4 cup of broth, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder

- add the bean mixture to the mashed potato.  I added some salt and pepper to taste.

- It makes quite a bit so I froze most of it in small containers.

Let me know if you like it :0)

Most Active