Has anyone told you to stop losing weight and eat more?

tg2013
on 8/20/14 7:18 am - Ottawa, Canada

HI all    It's been awhile since I've been on this site . I am 10 months out of RNY surgery and have lost 145lbs I started my journey weighing in at 355lbs and today I am 210lbs  I have had some post operation complications and will be heading back under the laser in Sept .The doc has to remove my gallbladder and possibly redo the bypass part of the RNY surgery which has caused a massive ulcer in my pouch.

Needless to say I am unable to eat a cup of food each and every meal.  I am lucky if I can get a half or two thirds cup of food into me . I have spoken to the Nurse prac and she seems to be fine with what I eat and how much I am eating. Doc said that because of the ulcer and the inability to eat, my weight loss is a lot faster than normal  but shows no concern about the rapid weight loss and the fact I keep losing weight

The thing that worries me and some of my family members is the fact I am still averaging 3 to 4 lbs. weight loss a week. I assure my family that weight loss will stop once my body has finished eating all the access fat that was in me. This answer seems to satisfy them but I am not sure what the truth is .

Does anyone know.. How the body realizes you are at the proper weight and stops the weight loss process ? Keeping in mind I am following the nutritional requirements after the surgery 

I have been told by numerous co-workers that I should stop losing weight and eat more. I am way to skinny   (they were serious )

I am only 22lbs from my weight when I was in high school at that time I was very skinny

Troy

reenie33
on 8/20/14 8:27 am

Yes! I was told yesterday that Ive lost too much weight and that I should eat more. Ive no health issues like you though. And I am afraid that Ill regain lost weight (because some days I can eat alot) .

highlandbear
on 8/20/14 11:11 am - Canada

I had issues for almost 2 years and lost a lot of weight and people were telling me to eat more and that I was looking sick. I lost real fast and it was hard for them to see me so skinny.  I can tell you that once they get you all fixed up you will start to eat more and gain some back. I have tried for the last two years to lose 10 pounds and I can not do it. I am not gaining or losing. I might just have to accept that this is what my weight should be. I keep working on it. Good Luck with everything

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/20/14 12:25 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Yes, I have had a handful (3 or 4) people tell me I should stop losing weight or that they think I'm too skinny. Of course, they're just not used to seeing me at a normal bmi, which I now am. I am still, however, at the higher end range of a normal bmi, so I'm not worried. I will admit that my face did go through a bit if a gaunt phase, but then it's like my weight re-distributed a bit. It's a bit more balanced, and one of the folks who was worried about me, did admit that she could see my face was a bit more balanced now. This particular person thought that maybe I was becoming anorexic, which, on my 1500 to 2000 calories a day, is definitely not the case!!  And though I workout a lot, I eat to support this!

My body did decide to stop losing at a certain point -- luckily for me it was within range of my goal weight which was, for me, that normal bmi range. And I'm somewhere between a size 8 to 10 on a 5'10" frame. 

I think people are just not used to the new me. I just saw my brother last week -- he lives up north, and when he went back he told my parents he thought I was too skinny. But because I've been overweight my entire life (pretty much since grade 2), he's just never seen me at a normal weight. 

I take it all in stride. I know I'm healthy.  I don't want to lose more weight, but I'm also watching for the potential regain like a hawk, 'cause I'm not going down that path again.

Hopefully your health issues will be resolved shortly. But once you can eat more normally, trust that your body will know where it needs to be.  If you're concerned however, keep a eye on your bmi, and talk to the nutritionist if you're concerned.

Good luck!

DD

Most Active