2nd Year Surgiversary (long)

pedlsanCAN
on 8/18/14 11:24 pm - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 09/04/12

Greetings Fellow OH’ers!

Just wanted to start by saying that my photos won’t post! You can check out the before and afters on my profile page.

As I recently had my year 2 follow up at Guelph, I thought it was time to post again. I continue to read regularly, but tend not to post as often. I want to thank all of those regular “senior” contributors (I dare not list vet names lest I forget someone!) and say that your advice and knowledge has been invaluable to me throughout this process. I appreciate your guidance, assistance, and experience. This forum is by far the most informative resource I have found regarding weight loss surgery in Ontario.

Currently I weigh 165 and have maintained that weight (+ or – a few pounds) for most of the past year. My highest recorded weight was 293 but I’m sure I was over 300. I just never got weighed at that point. I entered the Guelph program at 282 and weighed 232 on my surgery date two years ago. There was a long wait from referral to surgery, and I worked hard on my “issues”.  

I feel good, and that is ironic considering I’ve seen more doctors and hospital time recently than in my entire life! Interestingly I continue to take the same medication for blood pressure, thyroid, cholesterol, anxiety as I did before my weight loss (damn genetics!) Pain in my legs, hips, knees is now gone, but my new shape has caused some “realignment” issues with my neck and back so I see my chiro regularly – I’ve read about this problem with a few other posters. One issue I’ve dealt with is low ferritin level that was trending lower with each retest. I attended the Cambridge Crew Conference and heard OnTrac Blood Conservation nurse Leona Dove speak about iron issues. Thanks to her assistance (OKNEE here on OH), I was able to get a referral from my GP to her program at Humber to see Dr. Kukaswadia and receive iron infusions. I take FeraMax iron supplements now. Thanks Leona!!! I also had my CPAP status retested and continue to await those results (10 to 12 weeks to report seems crazy to me!). Hopefully I can get rid of that damn thing, but do have a family history and am told I may need to keep it… fingers crossed! Both of these issues needed to be explored as I had plastic surgery ten days ago. I was approved by OHIP for panni and self-payed for an “upgrade” to full abdominoplasty. Dr. Kreidstein performed the surgery at Scarborough General. I’d love to have breasts, upper thighs, and arms done, but the cost makes it unavailable to me, and these issues are more my vanity than health. On the positive side, my incision is healing well, and my belly no longer hangs! However, recovery is slower than I thought it would be; I continue to be tired and in discomfort; I am swollen, bruised, and have gained weight (?) I realize this is temporary and due to the surgery. Reading about some of the serious complications that can occur, I consider myself to be healthy and happy.

They seem to be pleased with my progress in at the Bariatric clinic in Guelph. This past week I met with the dietician and nurse and made an appointment to see them in another year. As I move farther from surgery, I worry about losing the malabsorbtion and the dreaded “bounce-back”. I don’t seem to dump on sugar or fat, but occasionally wonder about hypoglycemia as I sometimes feel unwell if I haven’t eaten, or made good choices … Duh, make good choices! It seems so simple. I wish I could say that I have everything under control in this area, but the truth is that every day is a brain battle. I continue to work on the basics: planning my meals, eating mindfully, avoiding temptations, eating protein first, keeping carbs under control, avoiding all pop (Haven’t had any since orientation – over 3 years – and I’m proud of that one!), getting in the 6-8 water, daily exercise etc. etc. All of this isn’t second nature to me … yet. People talk about a slippery slope, and I’m trying hard to be vigilant. I guardedly consider myself to be a “success” story. I say guardedly because I know how vulnerable that success can be; clearly my daily decisions create my success.

I hope all is well with your process – keep up your good efforts. We CAN do this!

Cheers,

Sandy

Karen M.
on 8/18/14 11:43 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Congratulations and happy second! You've done a fabulous job with your health and your loss is a true success - good for you! I love reading "surgiversary" posts that focus on what you've learned - very valuable information for those starting out.

Wishing you continued success and good health!

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 8/18/14 11:48 pm - Toronto, Canada

Congrats Sandy. The hard work starts now, but it sounds like you have the right attitude to keep up with the program! Great work! 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/18/14 11:51 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Congrats Sandy! It sounds like you are doing a terrific job. I love this part of your post, understand it and can relate to it:

"...wonder about hypoglycemia as I sometimes feel unwell if I haven’t eaten, or made good choices … Duh, make good choices! It seems so simple. I wish I could say that I have everything under control in this area, but the truth is that every day is a brain battle. I continue to work on the basics: planning my meals, eating mindfully, avoiding temptations, eating protein first, keeping carbs under control, avoiding all pop (Haven’t had any since orientation – over 3 years – and I’m proud of that one!), getting in the 6-8 water, daily exercise etc. etc. All of this isn’t second nature to me … yet. People talk about a slippery slope, and I’m trying hard to be vigilant. I guardedly consider myself to be a “success” story. I say guardedly because I know how vulnerable that success can be; clearly my daily decisions create my success."

I believe this to be so true for myself as well....and probably for many others.

I wish you continued success on your journey!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Laurie C.
on 8/19/14 2:32 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey Sandy:

Just wanted to chime in, hooray!!  You look great and isn't it wonderful!

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Jiliana2
on 8/19/14 10:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Congrats on your continued success! Such amazing results. Wow. Very inspirational.

And wishing you a speedy recovery from plastics. I hope it all goes super smoothly.

Keep up the great work! You're a model for all of us.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active