Self Pay recommendations please :)

Shelley H.
on 8/16/14 10:42 pm

Hello There!!

New to the site and seriously considering a revision from my band (09) to the Sleeve.  I am not sure I wanna wait it out for OHIP to pay as that could take forever.  Any recommendations of self pay surgeons?   Reviews from Dr. Michel Gagner in Montreal?  Been researching and his name has come up alot.  Any advice, tips appreciated :) 

Not sure about Mexico self pay, would prefer to stay in Canada I think :) 

Shelley

Karen M.
on 8/17/14 1:44 am - Mississauga, Canada

"Forever" as in how long? Depending on the centre you're assigned to, wait times seem to vary. Perhaps post requesting an idea of timelines for others here to give you an idea.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/14 2:01 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Not sure where you were banded but Dr.Cobourn's newest newsletter to his patients says he is now doing the sleeve.  He's obviously not doing it in Ontario but he has clinics in 3 other provinces. No idea what the cost is but you could enquire about where it's performed, how much , etc.  Dr. Cobourn was doing OHIP funded in Guelph a few years ago but then went back to private practice.

Dr.Gagner has done a lot of surgeries but doesn't have a follow up program in place from what I have read. If it was me, I'd get referred through the registry and attend orientation.Why pay again if you don't have to. No guarantee they will do VSG over RNY but still worth attending and seeing.

Patm
on 8/17/14 3:17 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

For me it wasn't just the surgery. The follow-up has been invaluable.  The support has bee3n tremendous from my centre

DustyB
on 8/17/14 3:42 am - Canada

Hi, big decision I know.

Had RNY by Dr Gagner last month.  Great staff, accommodation, facility.  Was treated with respect, great care and of course a Great Surgeon.  I was provided with enough Pre and Post Op guidelines to assist me on my way.  As far as post-op care, my expectation with the distance between was far less than if I was nearby.  I had  another surgeon in my area that Dr Gagner knew I would be seeing if I had any trouble.  Also my GP is fully onboard.  I have had no problems and doing very well.

With my health problems, I did not want to be 2 countries away with possibly more post op difficulty, let alone the travel - so Mexico was not worth it for me.

Just my experience and thoughts.  Your decision entirely.  Good luck. 

Shelley H.
on 8/18/14 7:58 am

hi there!

Thanks for your post.  so appreciated.  How are you feeling post op?   Yes, my GP is onboard as well so aftercare won't be an issue.  I was more curious with the whole travel to Montreal etc.  How long did you stay in Montreal for?  Did you have someone go with you?Are you back to work?

Sorry, just very curious.....  Just getting pre tests done that is required before consult with Dr, Gagner.  :) 

DustyB
on 8/18/14 12:38 pm - Canada

Hi, I am well.  Trying to keep to the post op guidelines.  I am now on more solid foods and very serious about what I intake.  Protein +++++ , drinking lots & no carbs.

The pre-tests were a very busy time but of course necessary and by the way I was not required to do the 2-3 week opti diet.

Drove to montreal with wife as my helper.  We stayed at the same hotel that the clinic books for patients.  We arrived 2 days early ( I recommend a must ).  The clinic books you in for 2 nights.  We also stayed another 2 nights to be ready for the long ride home.

i am retired ( Old ) so no work to worry about.

i will try to answer any of your questions.

Shelley H.
on 8/23/14 9:11 pm

Hi Dusty

how long was the whole process of consult, pre-op to post  op?   How long did you stay overall in Montreal?  Did you bring someone with you?   do any site seeing before hand?

I have my consult on Sept 5th with Dr. Gagner.  Very excited!   What we gain in our health, self esteem is soooo worth every penny :)

Shelley

Shelley H.
on 8/23/14 9:13 pm

ooops!  Sorry bout that........too early this morning....seen you already replied....LOL  my bad!!  Thanks for the input :) Sooo appreciated!! 

Shelley

KM_Ottawa
on 8/17/14 10:05 am

I went the self-pay route with Dr. Christou in Montreal (Feb 2014) and also had the sleeve.  I was very happy with my experience and received great care.  I think it would work best if you're overweight and need to lose but don't have eating disorders.  If you do have those issues you probably need the extra services that the local program offers and it may be worth waiting the 1 to 2 years to go through testing locally.

If you do go the private route you do have the option to pay for additional visits with your doctor or nutritionist in Montreal and they will work with your GP and do consults over the phone if you need follow up.

There are some on the board who will tell you that the waiting time was helpful --- for me I knew that my blood pressure issues needed to be dealt with sooner rather than later.  I'm not quite 6 months out and I've lost a lot of weight which has helped my blood pressure and even have fewer migraines (as my hormones and blood pressure are under better control.)  My GP was onboard and agreed that now was the time to get this done.  Talk to your GP to see which way they recommend you go.

Most Active