Sleep study

Amy K.
on 8/15/14 11:49 pm - Tucson, AZ

In my case it helped; when I started the process I could only lose 24 lbs in 6 months because my BMI couldn't be under 40 when submitted to the insurance.  Because I have high blood pressure, severe arthritis in my right knee, and sleep apnea I had three co-morbidities, so my BMI could be below 40 for approval. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

GodsChildII
on 8/16/14 12:08 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

It helps ! Typically insurance companies like to see one or more comorbid conditions before approving. Sleep apnea is considered a co morbid condition of obesity.i would say if you can get started in the process of a sleep study then have your PCP refer you now.

Solstice
on 8/16/14 1:39 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Chiming in... I am going through Guelph. When I got my orientation package, it included a "stop bang" questionnaire. Google it, standard questionnaire. This is a set of questions to determine if you need to be tested for sleep apnea. Before this, I was not suffering any typical symptoms of sleep apnea, besides snoring, um who doesn't...but according to this Q and my answers, yep, I needed to get one. Got one. Surprise! Severe sleep apnea. Had NO idea. So, as he doc explained, bariatric surgery is a scheduled surgery. They need to eliminate any foreseeable risk. having sleep apnea, and anaesthesia, means you could stop breathing. Not good. So, being diagnosed, and using the CPAP device helps to fix this, and makes the surgery less risky. One of the risks that can be controlled in a major surgery. If required by your centre, get referred ASAP, depending on where this is done, wait times can range a lot. In the London area it can be up to 8 months. Mine was not London, but still took a couple of months to get in, then the results take a min of 6 weeks.

Good luck with everything!

Solstice

Wesley T.
on 8/16/14 6:19 am - Canada

Hello Leo, 

I have been on a CPAP since 2011. I was tested after surgery for a brain tumor that I had. At the time I had mild to moderate sleep apnea. I have a CPAP machine, and have completed since 2011 a total of 2 sleep tests. Since I have a rare endocrine disorder called acromegaly, my facial structure is very hard to mask. The course of two sleep tests the sleep nurse had woke me up changing a total of sixty different masks in two nights. It was NOT fun.

Before I was diagnosed, I would wake with the stereotypical migraine, puffy face and eyes, and need to urinate at least three times a night. When our bodies keep on drifting to REM sleep we become awoke with adrenaline when the body sends signals that state our air paths are choking, hence the apnea. This adrenaline reacts by producing urine to our kidneys, causing multiple trips to the washroom each night. 

Currently I do not wear the CPAP mask as much as I should. It causes me alot of problems in the night to sleep. And believe me with two sleep studies, 60 masks, and multiple Sleep Doctor appointments I have tried my best. This is one of THE major reasons why I am seeking Weight Loss Surgery... I simply CANNOT live like this with a CPAP machine. 

However, you must do your best. The most recent studies have shown that our 'headaches' from air being cut off to the brain each night being starved for oxygen is killing off more brain cells per capita than percentage levels of alcohol. In the long term Sleep Apnea that has not been diagnosed and treated is correlated with early onset Alzheimers. 

So, it may be a very important thing to get checked for, not something to be happy about if a simple questionnaire says you do not! 

Most Active