At home, some food questions

Blueiiis
on 8/14/14 7:37 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Came home yesterday, feeling pretty good today! Trying to get in protein, but I don't much care for the premier shakes but force myself to drink it.  Are the vanilla ones better than the chocolate? 

I am going to try soup tonight... Wish me luck. I bought the condensed soup and will make it with milk... That is ok? I picked up a couple of premade Campbell's soup to go but don't know if they are ok?   I am really afraid to eat in case it hurts my pouch or causes me to vomit.  I am going by the guidelines in the manual, but am no where near taking in what I should be.  I am panicking that I will do it all wrong.

For those who had surgery, how much were you eating the first few days after surgery? 

Patm
on 8/14/14 8:27 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Try to relax. You have time to get in what you need to. The first days are hard but it will get better. Soups with milk are fine. Some people put a small amount of protein powder in to boost the protein content.

There is a Ontario recipes forum. A whole section on premier protein shakes and what you can do to them

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Do not worry so much you will do fine

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/14/14 11:48 am

Soups with milk are fine but I would see how your body responds to milk before going wilk with milk.  I can drink regular milk post surgery in small quantities but too much equals gas, bloating, and loose BMs.  It's not uncommon to be more sensitive to lactose or even lactose intolerant post surgery.  I found soy milk was better for me in mixing with soups, smoothies, etc.  Soy milk is also lower carb if you go with plain.

If you don't like premier shakes I'd suggest making your own smoothies and adding fruit and unflavoured powder.  You can also pour the premier protein shakes into a glass or blender and add extracts as with Opti to improve the flavour.

Pegasus_AM
on 8/14/14 12:33 pm

I have read that a few people prefer the vanilla Premier shake to the chocolate. I recall one post I read were the person really detested the chocolate but really liked the vanilla. I think it's unfortunately trial and error. Good-luck glad to hear you are doing well.:-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Catw
on 8/14/14 11:17 pm - Arnprior, Canada

You will find over the next while, there will be a lot of trial and error, and learning about your new tummy.  The only thing I can suggest is to try small amounts.  If you are using milk, use skim.  It has less lactose in it than the others, and if you do have lactose issues, it is more tolerable.  Some people use protein powder in thier soups, or powdered skim milk to increase the protein.

YOu just came home yesterday, you won't get everything in today.  It'll take a bit, just go gradually, and focus on the important stuff for now, like protein and water.  The rest will come.

Cathy

Blueiiis
on 8/15/14 12:07 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Thanks everyone.  It will all be fine, but I feel like I could have used more specific instructions on the first 2 weeks at home. 

I am going to hunt for the vanilla shakes at Costco - if anyone sees them in Mississauga or Etobicoke please let me know. Heck, even Burlington as my husband works out that way.

is it ok to mix the shake with ice in the blender? That will dilute it somewhat, might make it easier to get down?

Karen M.
on 8/16/14 12:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

My friend bought me a couple of cases from the Costco in Ancaster. I've never seen them in any other Costco. I'd be happy to share some if you'd like.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active