VSG vs RNY

Blueiiis
on 8/5/14 3:13 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

What surgery did you (will you) have? I am having RNY next Monday.

reason for asking is that a lot of people on OH seem to be having the VSG.... Is this a trend in the USA or what would be the reasoning? I think the RNY is more common in Ontario but I could be wrong.

Just something I noticed :)

Patm
on 8/5/14 3:55 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

RNY is definitely done more in Ontario. Unless there is a health reason people are rarely given a VGS or Duodenum Switch. Ontario considers the RNY the gold standard.

In a presentation at a support group at TWH, they mentioned that they study all the operations they do. They look at the complications following each. They have used this follow-up information to make slight adjustments on how they do the surgery. They are always improving it.

Cookies-and-Cream
on 8/5/14 5:26 am

look at human anatomy,  read up on how digestive system works and  make an informed decision for yourself

Patm
on 8/5/14 5:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Unfortunately she would also have to show why she medically needed a VGS. It is not as simple as just wanting it and getting it.

Cookies-and-Cream
on 8/5/14 6:06 am

True. She still needs to decide on a procedure first, the rest is the tools to get there

Blueiiis
on 8/5/14 6:23 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

You don't have to be rude, it was an observation. Relax.

Cookies-and-Cream
on 8/5/14 6:35 am
Cookies-and-Cream
on 8/5/14 6:36 am

Hm. I actually wasnt trying to be rude. I honestly think that you can make a choice in what procedure you want and VSG does show more on US boards because they pay for it and choose

Karen M.
on 8/5/14 10:13 am - Mississauga, Canada

I had RNY 8.5 years ago. At the time, that was my choice, other than self-pay for the lap band. Now VSG is sometimes performed when a RNY isn't possible due to previous abdominal surgeries, scar tissue and another whole lot of reasons that I'm not really up on. VSG is an excellent choice for many and I know MANY successful VSGers. Some choose to continue on with additional surgery to lose more weight with a DS (Duodenal Switch).

For me, I needed the malabsorptive properties of the RNY. I don't think I had the willpower necessary to do well with the VSG alone. I also don't think my body would have re-set itself without malabsorption. BUT... who knows really? lol I took what was offered, chose the RNY and haven't looked back since - started at 290 pounds, now weigh 120 pounds.

Shortly after I had my surgery the DS became quite a popular option for Ontarians going south of the border. In hindsight, I'm sure I would have done as well with that procedure as well.

Would I change history? Not even for a second. I am thrilled with my health, my results, and my life post-RNY. Every surgery is a tool - use it wisely and have success.

Karen :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Valerie G.
on 8/5/14 10:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The VSG is fairly new as a stand-alone wls, but not a new procedure, if that makes any sense.  It was a feature of some particular stomach surgeries as well as the first part of a 2-part DS.  With either of those procedures, many patients were losing large amounts of weight and maintaining well.  The VSG has been mainstream for a few years now (maybe 5 or so), and thankfully is replacing the LapBand as a restriction-only option.  In the US, many insurance companies have come around and taken this out of the "experimental" status.  I would expect Ontario to come around soon.

The RNY will probably always have a place of respect as a wls, because some need more than restriction, do there's no reason to discount it.  WLS is not one-size-fits-all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active