Tylenol cold products

4-Jane
on 8/3/14 7:34 pm - Canada

I have not been in good health since my rny  10 months ago.  If it's going around I catch it.  This is very different than before surgery when I would catch a cold maybe once every two years and had nor walk virus once, about 12 years ago.  My immune system is not so strong any more.... Maybe I'm older, maybe the not smoking thing has changed me, maybe it's the surgery????

i have had easily at least seven major colds that have lasted two to three weeks in length twice I have needed an antibiotic as the cold turned into a lung infection, and the other time into a sinus ear infection.   I seldom take over the counter medication. But this cold I have bought a Tylenol cold tablet, night time relief I took one . My question is do they dehydrate you because I know I got my water in but I'm so dehydrated? Does any one know if they have caffeine in them?

i have upped my vitamin intake and am trying to eat well but man oh man I'm dog sick and truly surprised that I have such little fight to ward off these germs. I'm not reading others posts like this so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Respectfully Jane
birdiegirl
on 8/3/14 8:23 pm

Hi Jane

This sucks for you.....I am assuming you have had all your labs done and all is OK in that respect

I had great health for the first 4.5 years....but the last 8 months I have had bronchitis in Feb and a repeat in May that required a hospital visit.....maybe its just the year and the type of bugs that are going around rather then the surgery....and I am guessing...but maybe others will chime in with their stories of over the top colds etc for this year VS other years

Tylenol cold.....I use it when required....and it makes me so thirsty,.....like I cant get enough water....and I only take one pill every 8 hours or so....and only if going out in public so I am not sniveling .....so I get the same reaction as you....

hope you feel better soon

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/14 9:36 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

There's no caffeine in it but there is a decongestant in it and it dries up everything just as it is suppose to so that is likely what is dehydrating you.  I think this has been a really bad year for all kinds of illnesses as everyone seems to have had more than their fair share of sickness. Like Barb, I had way more than ever and my DH has had at least 5 colds almost one after the other.

Patm
on 8/3/14 10:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have added 1000 mg vitamin C to my daily vitamins. It appears to be helping. For me it seems to lessen my colds.

4-Jane
on 8/4/14 12:00 am - Canada

Thanks guys I took one of the night time ones and was crazy thirsty, the pressure in my face makes me think it's into my sinuses now so I will be looking for a walk in today.  It has been an unusual year with our wheather as well and my work place is air condition to the point of my running my own space heater in my office.  I also do vitamin c.  I think I'll just stick to the regular Tylenol because I'm funny about insuring I have enough water in me.... Not sure why but a couple years ago several post appeared about people being given intervenors at the hospital for dehydration I think that scared me straight.... Keeping me vigilant abou****er lol it worked for me.....

Respectfully Jane
Robyn R.
on 8/4/14 12:04 am - Bowmanville, Canada

You mentioned no longer smoking & lung infection. Have you had pulmonary function tests or a spiromery done lately. It might not be related to the surgery & you might actually have a Chronic Lung Disease.  Stressors such as surgery can lead to exacerbations.  Check with your family doctor, as it could explain your issues.  Just a thought.  Take care.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

4-Jane
on 8/4/14 6:37 am - Canada

Walk in clinic closed so waited at the hospital for three hours, lung infection, sinus infection and one ear.  Prescription in hand and off to fill it

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/14 7:16 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Watch out that you don't get pink eye now too.  I had all that in the spring and then pink eye showed up right after before I was on meds.  Wash your hands as much as possible and then wash them again and keep them away from your eyes. I had a raging case of pink eye, it was actually to the point of red when I finally was seen at emerg.

4-Jane
on 8/4/14 7:26 am - Canada

If I get pink eye please someone just take me out back and shot me...... Lol

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/14 7:41 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

That is exactly how I felt then to add insult to injury, it was almost done in one eye then started in the other.  And there is a shortage of the polysporin drops for pink eye so I had to sit in emerg for drops and felt so stupid sitting there for that but none of the walk ins were open so had no choice.  Called every pharmacy in town first hoping that maybe one would have one bottle kicking around and even had my son check every drug store in his city to try and avoid an ER trip but none in 2 cities so had to give up and go.

Most Active