DS covered by OHIP?

jessiak
on 7/29/14 1:08 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

I'm wondering if DS is covered by OHIP? I'm finding conflicting information :) Thanks.

Referral sent : July 29, 2014 |  Orientation : Oct 17, 2014  |  Blood work & ECG : Oct 20, 2014  |  Medical Intake : Oct 23, 2014  | Ultrasound Appt : Nov 3, 2014 | Dietician : Nov 5th, 2014  |   Psychologist : Nov 6, 2014  | Opti : Jan 15th |  Surgery : Jan 28th

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/14 2:03 pm - Windsor, Canada

Yes but it has become increasingly hard to get one in ontario.  Primarily I am only seeing patients with a bmi above 60 being offered a ds  (and many are now instead being offered a vsg then rny later).  Seems to be phasing out more and more in The last few years.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

jessiak
on 7/29/14 2:55 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

Interesting. Is there any particular reason why, that you know of? :)

I'm only in the very beginning stages here, but I'm trying to become familiar with all of my options, so I can discuss them all when it comes time.
I'm very close to the US border, and would/could travel to either Duluth, MN or maybe Minneapolis, MN, if OHIP would permit.

Referral sent : July 29, 2014 |  Orientation : Oct 17, 2014  |  Blood work & ECG : Oct 20, 2014  |  Medical Intake : Oct 23, 2014  | Ultrasound Appt : Nov 3, 2014 | Dietician : Nov 5th, 2014  |   Psychologist : Nov 6, 2014  | Opti : Jan 15th |  Surgery : Jan 28th

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/14 3:22 pm - Windsor, Canada

It's never been said outright but I think it's two fold.  One because of complication rates - this has been hinted to in the past. And quite frankly because rny is less operating time.  

All surgeries are done in ontario.  No one gets sent stateside anymore since 2009.   As far as I know there's only a few docs who perform the ds -  dr hong in Hamilton, dr. Neville in Ottawa and dr reed in Guelph.  At least these are the names I've heard referenced in the last year or two.  Vsg is popular though. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 10:08 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Frustrated because I just typed out a huge response and OH ate it. lol

Here's the long and short of it:

YES, it is covered. Very few are done and never have been - there hasn't been a "phase out" like I just read about. Dr. Hong in Hamilton is trained and skilled in performing this surgery. I've seen people have a virgin (first surgery) DS, a 2 step DS (vsg first) and a revision from another surgery to DS. It is done. Getting approved it another thing.

The DS is a longer, more complex surgery and quite frankly, not all ON surgeons are trained/qualified to perform it. It tends to take longer to do, so more OR time used than a VSG or RNY. I don't personally think it has anything at all to do with complication rates.

I highly recommend dsfacts.com, written by a very successful DSer on this forum.

You will have to be very explicit in why you are requesting a duodenal switch, medically speaking. It also seems to be more available to people with higher BMIs (over 50).

Why do you want a DS?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/30/14 1:02 am - Windsor, Canada

Just to be clear - the complication rate is what the government has said, not me.  I don't believe it either and think it's just an excuse.  The DS is also for only a very high skilled patient - there's a boatload more labs and deficiencies that can occur so it has to be someone who is going to be very regimented about their labs and supplementation AND has the money to pay for the supplementation as well. 

Dawn

Karen M.
on 7/30/14 1:09 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yep, ok. :) I could say a lot more, but nevermind.

Karen

cutecanadiangirl
on 7/30/14 5:43 am

Dawn,

Thank you so much for posting the information regard a DS. I find your posts very informative!  I have to agree with you regarding the complication rate. This is one reason why it isn't performed in Ontario a often. My husband is a physician and he has stated this as well.  Again, thanks for the valid information and everything you do for everyone on this website! You are an awesome advocate and cheerleader!

Karen M.
on 7/30/14 7:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

And let the Karen-bashing PMs begin.

Karen

Valerie G.
on 7/30/14 7:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The problem in Canada was finding a surgeon to perform it and being willing to wait a year or more for it, from what I've seen over the years with Canadians getting the DS.  Many went to the US or Mexico and paid out of pocket.  I do know that there was a surgeon in Michigan who was taking payments from OHIP many years ago.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.  Complication rates shouldn't be any worse than RNY in the hands of a good surgeon, though.

Another surgeon who crossed the border to Canada is Dr. William Gagner.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active